Legal to Play Cards in the Airport?

Aug 17th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Legal to Play Cards in the Airport?

Ok, if you think this question is silly, just skip it and go on to the next post. We will have 2 layovers on our next trip - one in the US and one in France. Can we pass the time playing cards (no money involved, no gambling) or is a big no-no? We would like to play a few rounds of Pitch, but I noticed I have never seen anyone playing cards at an airport and wondered if it was illegal. I would rather know the rules before find ourselves being hauled off to a French prison!
Aug 17th, 2003, 07:41 PM

I don't think you will have a problem. Isn't one of the kings in a deck of cards supposed to be Charlemagne?
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:22 PM

You bring back memories. I don't know why Europeans don't play cards but we made a lot of friends who played with us or watched at the train stations as we waited. On our trip from Munich to Bertchsgaden, the conductor would make his rounds and then come play with us between towns. We didn't know a lot of German and he didn't know English so we taught him "21" because we could count. In Venice, one guy knew English and Italian and the other knew Italian and German, so we would explain to the one and he would translate to the other. One boy on our Rhine River cruise came over to learn how to shuffle.
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM
lyb

I'm curious as to why you even think it might be illegal. What has made you think that, besides not seeing people do it?

Where are you from?
Aug 18th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, LindaW I thanks for sharing your stories, I enjoyed hearing of your experiences.

Lyb: sorry, I don't have more in depth or elaborate explanation of my thoughts for you: the only reason I thought it was illegal was that in all of my travels and layovers at airports, I have never seen anyone engage in a card game; To me it seemed a great way to pass the time and I wondered why no one was playing. I could certainly understand that it would be easy to turn a simple game into a gambling venture, so I thought that possibility it was not allowed in this type of facility. As your tone suggests, I must be from Charcot Island. LOL.
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:09 AM

Bonjour Grantop,

To the best of my knowledge, it is perfectly legal in French (and Swiss) airports, although I understand that the souvenirs shops, bars, and restaurants owners, would like potential customers to think otherwise (I'm sure they would also love making it illegal to sit read, knit, do crosswords puzzle, play chess, anything that prevents bored passengers on a layover to spend money in their shops) ;-)
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:22 AM

CDG has just beefed up airport security patrols to crack down on card playing. No way should you take the chance.
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:54 AM

LindaW, what makes you think Europeans don't play cards?? Trust me, we do - but it's generally something we do at home rather than when we're out (although when working in Germany, a lot of people brought cards to the pub with them - and one group even brought a game of Connect 4!)

grantop, the only problem might be that if you get a bit over-excited in the playing of the game you might get a few funny looks!! Enjoy your trip
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Violagirl I will try to control myself. Thanks to all who have replied.
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:17 AM

You probably haven't seen much card playing in airports because the only thing 90% of the people on a layover can think to do with their time it talk on their cell phone. And I don't mean the ones who are checking on family, work or reservations, I mean the ones who immediately dial up the phone as soon as they are off the plane and the conversations starts with something like: "hi, what are you doing, I'm at the airport . . . ."
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Unless you decide to play strip poker you should be OK.
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I'm dating myself, but back in the good ol days they used to give out free decks of cards on the plane!
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:46 AM

So true, Nutella. I still have a deck of "PanAm" cards hidden away somewhere that I got on a flight to see my husband on his R&R during Vietnam war!
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:56 AM

No problems! My parents, brother and I passed over an hour at a cafe in the Vienna airport playing pinochle (we are pinochle fans and when we spent a few months in Liberia in the 1970s, it was our main form of entertainment). No one will raise an eyebrow if you play cards at a European airport.
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM
lyb

grantop,

I didn't mean anything at all from my question. It's just that some areas of the world and/or cultures have some stricter rules about activities that other parts of the world/or cultures think don't even think about.

I'll claim ignorance...what is Charcot Island?
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Gambling in France seems to be accepted, even when it is done for money. When I was there in March, there were 2 gambling stores around the corner from my hotel. These were storefronts packed with men playing cards. There were also overflow crowds of men waiting to get in. I asked my hotel's concierge about this, and she said she thought the men were Turks. Whatever their nationality, the police knew what was going on, and did nothing to close down the stores.

Maybe there are special rules at CDG Airport.