Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Legal position in Italy..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/legal-position-in-italy-739132/)

carioca4ed Sep 26th, 2007 12:33 PM

Legal position in Italy.....

I was recently in a 3 star Hotel in Rome...
1.. The first thing that I noticed was that they were not expecting me and just managed to get fit me in.The emails that they had had mysteriously disappeared into the atmosphere.
2..I was going to complain about a hole in the ceiling of the bathroom.Not a very big hole,but it was a hole,nontheless.
3..I had previously asked for a different mattress,as I found the one in the room difficult to sleep on...They told me that they had no other mattress or room..(I did not mention hole in ceiling to them since I had got nowhere with mattress)..

Do you think that I could have asked for a reduction in the price of the room?
What would my legal position have been ??

rkkwan Sep 26th, 2007 12:45 PM

You could have bargained with them for a lower rate, or you could just walk and go find another hotel.

But apparently, you didn't do it then. So, you've agreed with the rate, the mattress and the hole. It's too late now.

LoveItaly Sep 26th, 2007 12:49 PM

Legal position, in Italy, lol. Sorry but Italian and their laws is a source of amusement in our family.

Carioca, I am not the least shocked the hotel didn't have extra mattresses on hand. The hole in the bathroom ceiling..I would have mentioned that unless I was just there for one night.

Reduction in price..well it never costs anything to ask.

Albany1624 Sep 26th, 2007 12:54 PM

I always carry copies of the email thread reflecting my request and the hotel's confirmation.

ira Sep 26th, 2007 01:12 PM

Hi C,

Chalk it up to experience.

Name of hotel?

((I))

ira Sep 26th, 2007 01:13 PM

>Legal position in Italy.....<

I think it is what is referred to as "The Missionary Position".

Dukey Sep 26th, 2007 01:18 PM

BOHICA

ellenem Sep 26th, 2007 01:57 PM

Star ratings in Italy do not refer to how nice a place is or whether it is in good repair. A hotel gets more stars if it has a separate breakfast room or conference room or other similar amenities. It doesn't matter if the wallpaper is peeling or the desk staff is rude. While one might assume that having such amentities would imply quality of service and good repair, this is not the case.

P_M Sep 26th, 2007 02:59 PM

I stayed in an Italian hotel claiming to be 4*, but I think 1* would have been a more fitting description. On the ceiling of my room there was a drawing, about 3 feet long, of a man's private parts. This was drawn on the part of the ceiling that was directly over the bed, so you REALLY can't miss it. =-O I reported this to the desk in case they wanted to paint over it. They looked at me like, "so what??" I didn't make an issue of it, I thought it was kinda funny to think about how differently this was viewed in Italy as opposed to the US. :-))

PS I know a certain Italian artist once did some great art work on another ceiling in Rome, but whoever drew this in my hotel room was no Michaelangelo. LOL!!

Julie_Hurst Sep 26th, 2007 03:23 PM

"Legal position in Italy" Is that like in America - not touching your genitals without a wash cloth?!!!!! Sorry, I'm still giddy from the wash cloth thread.

Dukey, are you indicating that BOHICA is the legal POSITION in Italy?!!!! If so, better get a wash cloth!!!!!

OK, I'll try to contain myself - oops, hope that translates OK!

Anyway, carioca4ed, I would suggest, & I'm being serious now (about time), that you write/email the hotel & outline your entire experience, express your dissatisfaction, & request what you feel is appropriate. However, unless it is a major chain hotel, I doubt you will receive a positive response. Sorry for your problems. Hope you had a great trip anyway.

P_M, you are a riot! Hope you took a picture to show your Italian hotel to family & friends!

Julie

FainaAgain Sep 26th, 2007 03:30 PM

Legal positing? You mean only one out of 69 is allowed there, all others are illegal? Strange... for Italians!

P_M Sep 26th, 2007 04:06 PM

Faina, if 69 is illegal in Italy, I'm never going there again!! >:O

tuscanlifeedit Sep 26th, 2007 06:06 PM

carioca

A very good thing to do is to let others know which hotel you had these problems in. That way, the folks here would know to avoid said hotel, AND you could email this thread to the hotel.

I prefer feeling at least a little effectual in my consumer complaints.

Julie_Hurst Sep 27th, 2007 01:58 PM

Maybe it's a good idea to let everyone know the name of the hotel.....or maybe not!

Just like the diner who said to the waiter, "There's a fly in my soup!" Waiter says, "Don't speak so loudly; everyone will want one!"

You don't want to send this hotel extra business. Some folks may want to go just to enjoy the art!

Julie

Christina Sep 27th, 2007 02:09 PM

I don't think there is any legal right for any hotel to get you a price reduction because you don't like the mattress, there is a small hotel in the ceiling, and they don't have your emails but gave you a room anyway.

I think I would not have to pay for a hotel room about 90 pct of the time if I got rebates for those things. Where do you travel that you get hotels to give you a different mattress, that's a new one. I would never pay for a room in Mexico again!!!

SusanP Sep 27th, 2007 05:26 PM

Well, I don't know about your "legal standing," but I agree with Christina. You got your room. I would be very surprised if any hotels in Italy (or anywhere else, for that matter) have spare mattresses around in case a guest doesn't like the one they get! I suppose you could have asked for a price reduction, but I highly doubt that you would have received one. They probably would have thought such a request was very strange, given your reasons for it.