Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Left Bank single rooms - Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/left-bank-single-rooms-paris-61556/)

Lesli Feb 2nd, 2000 11:12 AM

Left Bank single rooms - Paris

Great info on this site, but wondering if anyone has seen what single rooms are like at the following hotels: St. Jaques, Familia, Cluny Sorbonne, L'Esperance, Excelsior, Champ de Mars, Leveque, or your suggestions! (Have traveled solo to Italy twice and am good at packing light, so prefer charm/location over size.) Will be making my first trip to Paris this Spring, and would like to be able to walk from restaurnats, jazz clubs, etc. to a cosy hotel room, under about 500 FF.

Mary Feb 2nd, 2000 11:53 AM

I stayed in a single room at the Leveque last year, and it was not bad. It's very tiny and very basic, but very clean. I had to use the bathroom down the hall, and the shower was on the 5th floor. I only had to wait for the shower once during the whole week, so it wasn't that bad.

Sam Feb 2nd, 2000 04:59 PM

Have stayed at Hotel Minerve which is right next to Hotel Famila. If you are looking for great charm, get a 3 star hotel and pay the price. If you want a decent room at a good price, stay at someplace like Hotel Minerve. Price came to about $83USD a night. It is near the Jusseiu Metro station which is a good size station. There are a few restaurants and bars but not a great amount. If you want to walk to restaurants on the left bank, look at areas near St. Michel and near that Metro station. There are all kinds of eatteries, but not sure of the nightlife. Within walking distance of Notre Dame for your reference. Paris is mind-blowing. Buy the 3--->5 days metro and museum passes. Please take the Metro for it is the cheapest way to get around. It is safe to ride for the most part until 9 or 10. If you feel uncomfortable, go to street level and take a taxi. If you have other questions, post them here for I was a first timer in November and I did my research and ended with a great trip. Have f

Boots Feb 2nd, 2000 07:09 PM

Lesli, I am fortunate in that I get to Paris between three and five times per year. I always stay at the Welcome Hôtel, 66, rue de Seine, in the 6th. FAX is 011+33+1.40.46.81.59. I would not call it charming; charming costs bucks in most cases, but the rooms are clean, and the location is the best, in my opinion. The Buci Market is just outside the door, there is a Champion grocery store across the street, a tabac in the same block where you can buy stamps, metro tickets and the Carte Orange Hebdomadaire. Two blocks south is Gérard Mulot's pastry and deli, the best I have found. I'm not alone in thinking that since he won the 1998 trophée as the best patissier in Paris. There is activity in this area all night long, so it is not a quiet hotel, but you will be safe walking there any time. It is at the corner of rue de Seine and the boulevard Saint-Germain. Métro and buses run near. The Carte Orange Hebdomadaire (take a picture of your head with you) is good for all buses and subways in the city from Monday morning through Sunday and costs 80 FF. Even if I go in on Thursday, I buy it. The price for a single is just under 500 FF. If you need more info, e-mail me. And if you go, greet Noëlle, the receptionist for me. <BR>

May Feb 3rd, 2000 12:15 AM

I stayed in a single room in Leveque <BR>last summer. The room was small, modern and very clean. It was a great place. However, I don't think the hotel is walking distance from many restaurants/jazz clubs. I may be wrong but I didn't see many jazz clubs in the vicinity. There were plenty of cafes though.

Carol Feb 3rd, 2000 06:01 AM

Hi Lesli, <BR> <BR>If I were you, I'd take Boots' advice and book there immediately. The area is exactly where you want to be--it's fabulous! I myself am bookmarking her posting now. BTW, with the interests you describe, you don't want to be in the 7th--too residential.