Left Bank Hotel for the Non-Fabulous

Sep 14th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Pausanias

Left Bank Hotel for the Non-Fabulous

I find we will be in Paris for a few days between Christmas and New Year's and am having trouble selecting a hotel. Our plans for this stay argue for a Left Bank location. We are three: H, W and 16 yr old son, decidedly non-trendy with about $300 - 350 a night to spend. Of course, less is better. So far Hotel d'Aubusson looks like a maybe. Pont Royal (or is that too fashionable?) if we can get a deal. Would very much appreciate any other ideas. Thanks.

Sep 14th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I would heartly recommend Hotel de France in the 7th District, i travelled there a few days ago with my daughter. We were a bit worried never having been to paris before, but it was absolutely fine, very safe, very clean, and the staff were so kind and so helpful, we walked alone at night and encountered no problems, it cost €95 a night for the room, breakfast was and extra €9 but well worth it.
Sep 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Here's my advice: the Pont Royal is a VERY nice hotel IMO, and we have always enjoyed our stays there. Please stop thinking in terms of whether or not the HOTEL is "too fashionable" for you.

Rather, think in terms of whether or not the hotel is good enough for you to stay in. You are the fashionable one..be it haute couture, denim haute couture, or whatever since you are the one who is paying for services rendered.

Will you feel "out of place" at the Pont Royal? Not in the least. Walk in like you OWN the place in your usual polite way and there will be no probelms whatsoever.

Have a great trip
Sep 14th, 2005, 07:01 AM

The Pont Royal is a very nice hotel and nicely located. That said, you might also try the Madison, which is right across the street from St Germain du Pres church - they have terrific sound proofing & we had a great view of the church and the rooftops of paris from the 5th floor. I have gotten great rates on a couple of internet sites for both hotels.
Sep 14th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I'm sorry, I don't get it. You're actively seeking a non-fashionable hotel in Paris in the $300-$350 per night price range? Are you under the impression that lodging in Paris is very expensive (it isn't) and that for that price you won't be able to find anything fashionable? Or is it that you are just anti-fashionable? What do you mean by "less is better" when referring to a hotel? Are you talking about décor, or would you really like one with no minibar, no TV, no hairdryer?

Like lucielou, I can recommend the Hôtel de France on the Blvd. de la Tour Maubourg, where I am a regular. I also like the Duquesne-Eiffel. But given your rather bizarre specifications I'm a bit reluctant to recommend anything.

Sep 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Pausanias

Thank you for your recommendations so far. The Madison looks very nice. Hotel de France looked fine, but is it perhaps a little out of the center? Wanted easy fast walks to d'Orsay, Cluny and Louvre.

St Cirq --

"Less is better" refers to price. Coming from NY, I have long since learned to avoid places described as catering to the young, beautiful and/or wildly successful crowd. Let's just say, "comfortable with zero (zed) attitude."

Sep 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM

I agree with St.Cirq's sentiments..but I will volunteer a great place to stay, especially with the kids...we are devotee's of ile St.Louis and love the "country" atmosphere. We've stayed at the Hotel Lutece and also the neighboring sister hotel Deux iles..either will go for about $150-160..and the island is full of cafes, finer restaurants, and headquarters for fabulous Berthillon Ice Cream..what more can you want...a few steps to Notre Dame, a bridge to the right bank and a bridge to the left bank. Everyone to whom we've recommended the island loved it..and many have gone back.
Stu
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Pausanias...P.S. Yes, the ile St. Louis is walkable to and frkm all the places you mention...superb location, yet out of the crowds.
Stu
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Here is another vote to stay on the Ile St. Louis. We stayed at the Hotel de Lutece last December yearend. But the hotel is not typically 'fashionable'. It's a very nice, old-world, French hotel with simple but antique furnishings and it's very reasonable for the location. But at this point I have a feeling they are booked solid as it's quite popular.

Sep 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM

My husband, 17 yr old son and I share a room at the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche just a block from the Seine and Notre Dame on 9 rue de St. Jacques. We had a nice, comfortable queen baed and he had a twin in a tucked-away alcove that even had a privacy curatin. Great room, great location and not too fancy but clean.
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I think those who consider themselves Fabulous are those who wish they were Younger and Beautiful LOL
Those who really are fabulous don't stay in hotels that we stay in ( we meaning ordinary folks who pay under $1000 a night for a hotel room)
..The Hotel D'aubusson is wonderful, small rooms but lovely. Nice location.
I don't know the Pont Royal, but the D'Angleterre is nice, friends took 2 sons with them recently to Paris and stayed there, it worked fine with the young teens. It is not far from the D'Aubusson also.
The Lutece on the Ille St Louis is darling And much below your price range..
Non trendy is getting hard to find in the 6th and 7th..that seems to be what people look for.
At that price, have you considered an apt?
That worked for us this past March when we stayed in Paris with our son meeting us there..to avoid his having to stay in a crumby hotel while we stayed in a nice one ( he insists on paying his way) we rented an apt and we all fit nicely ...parisperfect.com was the company we chose...this also prevented him being able to pay his way, which worked for us
Sep 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM

The Madison is elegant but comfortable, and the location is marvelous. We've stayed there a number of times and been very happy. Ask for a room facing the boulevard, and if you get a twin-bedded room you'll have more space (the beds are pushed together to make one large bed, but by French law the room size has to be larger).
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Oh, avoid the Ile St Louis at all costs - it is absolutely overun with tourists (you can't even walk down the main street) and it is surprisingly more difficult to get around (well, other than to Notre Dame). If you REALLY insist on staying there, Hotel Jeu de Paume is probably the only hotel that will offer you the degree of luxury you are looking for.I was judging your price points and the style of accommodation you would like based on your mention of the Pont Royal. I suggested the Madison for it's fabulous location, near everything, including a metro stop and plentiful taxis. The Hotel Cayre on Blvd Raspail is also nicely located, with large-for-Paris rooms.

Too, I don't think you need to worry about being too Non-Fabulous for the Pont Royal. I stay there if i want to be on the Left Bank when i am traveling with my husband, and at Madison if i am with my girlfiends. On the right bank, Pavilion de la Reine is good in the Marais and Hotel Costes near Ch Elysee.
Sep 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM

I have to agree with you somewhat, dm. The Rue St. Louis en l'Ile can be crowded with tourists during certain times of the day. But the crowds leave in the evening. I know someone whose friends stayed at the Jeu de Paume and found it overrated and overpriced. Truly the Hotel de Lutece and Hotel des Deux Iles offer better value if one wants to stay on the island.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's difficult to get around if one stays on Ile St. Louis. To me it's very convenient as one can walk to the Marais, Latin Qtr., St. Germain, and the 1st district easily.

Sep 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I liked Hotel d'Aubusson. The location was good. The room was a bit drab, but had all the amenities. We had a nice evening in the bar listening to a jazz pianist one rainy evening.

A friend of mine swears by Hotel de l'Abbaye Saint-Germain. Check www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Sep 14th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Welcome to Fodors drm1418.
I cannot imagine how one would have trouble getting around such a small island as the Ille St-Louis. Tourists are abundant in all of the popular areas in Paris, it is a fact of life. But they do tend to leave the Ille St-Louis in the late afternoon and it is lovely and quiet and just as wonderful as all the guidebooks say it is.
Once you have been there, you understand why the people who live on the Ille St Louis will live nowhere else in Paris and why the real estate costs so much.

The Jeau du Paume is very expensive and very hit or miss with getting a nice sized room that is pleasant.

The hotel Lutetia has not been mentioned. It is a grand old hotel on Blvd Raspail..aside from a 'fabulous' bar with a few 'fabulous' people it is a very nice hotel in a great location.
Sep 14th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Francophile...happy to see you agree with my recommendation for ile St.L and the Lutece or Deux ile. I can see why islanders will noit live anywhere else. After staying "en ile" for three stays, we cannot think of staying anywhere else in the city. And you're right about the crowds thinning out by mid-late afternoon...this is some true of places like San Jimmy...when the tour busses leave en masse at 3:30-4:00, that's the time to come back to town for an evening stroll, window shop and dinner....after a leftimne of travel all opver this planet, I find that simple logistics are the key to smooth and happy travel...takes a little common sense, research and analysis...and a little luck wouldn't hurt.
Stu
Sep 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Please excuse the typos above...carpal tunnel syndrome doesn't help one bit...
Stu
Sep 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM

tower/Stu, I stayed at Hotel de Lutece last year and really liked both the hotel and staying on the island. The only time I noticed that the crowds were thick was when we arrived in the early afternoon. The taxi had a difficult time to drive down the narrow street. But from evening it's quiet. Also we were there for New Year's Eve and I don't even recall any crowds going up and down the Rue St. Louis en l' Ile during the celebration.
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM

The first time we were in Paris, we stayed at the Lutece. It was on Easter Sunday. The city was quiet that morning, but after noon, all the shops opened and all the residents strolled along the street. Helped me fall in love with Paris that much faster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO