Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LECH, AUSTRIA, most establishments don't take creditcards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 12:30 PM
Peter

While looking at hotels to stay in Lech, we noticed that most hotels say that they don't take creditcards. Do you know anything about this? Is there a way around it?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:17 PM
Liz

Use cash you get from an ATM machine. Some places even gave us a discount for cash.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 12:58 AM
BTilke

Lech is very popular with other Austrians and Germans and they are still very cash oriented. It's not just Lech. We just spent a week in the Austrian countryside about 45 minutes from Graz and it was cash only where we stayed and at most of the places we ate. I think it will change soon, but in the meantime, cash it is. <BR>BTilke <BR>(P.S. Austria seems to be the least interested in going high tech of all the "major" European countries. If you look at JobServe, an online listing of high tech jobs, Germany, France, Switzerland, the UK, etc., all have hundreds of positions available. Austria usually has less than a dozen. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.)

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:03 AM
bob

One of the places we stayed in France was cash only. It is not uncommon, because of the fees charged by the credit card companies. We have done cash only in Germany, France and England.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 07:46 AM
John

Hi Peter: <BR> <BR>Was skiing in Lech last January. Great ski destination!! Paid with VISA, no problem. I believe that the larger hotels 3 and 4 star have to take credit to stay in business <BR>JOHN