Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving Tuesday: need Alitalia info FAST, please

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:35 AM
pam

There was an "anonymous" poster on the "let's trash Alitalia" post recently in which they wrote "There is a 12 pound carry-on with Alitalia". <BR>I had been trying to obtain an answer to the question of Alitalia's carry-on requirements recently and even Ed couldn't find this info. <BR>This statement is in direct opposition to what Ben and some other reliable posters have written to me. Some people actually told me they don't care if you carry on a giraffe. <BR>If the 12 pound statement is true..are you allowed two carry-on bags? <BR>If someone has other or different information could you please let me know. <BR>Leaving on Tuesday. <BR>Nancy that was a bone chilling commentary on Alitalia. So sorry that happened to you and hope the rest of your trip was great.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 08:35 AM
mary

Pam, <BR>We were on Alitalia last month--they did not care what our bags weighed --in fact they didn't even weigh them. We carried a large duffle bag each and no one said a word! They fit easily overhead--- Enjoy your trip! <BR>Ciao <BR>Mary

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Linda

Mary, I couldn't let this one go without a comment. Don't want to ruffle feathers, but did you ever think what would happen if the overhead bin popped open during turbulence and your "large duffel bag" fell out on somebody's head? Broken necks in flight are not a pretty sight, nor a way to start or end a vacation.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:10 PM
pam

Thanks Mary...hope they stick with that policy- if not, I have a two carry-on size bags I'm bringing just in case. <BR>Appreciate your prompt answer...

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Tina

I know that British Airways has a 13 pound carry-on limit that they're fairly stringent on enforcing, however I really can't remember Alitalia being as rigorous on enforcing whatever their regulations are. In my experiences with all things Italia (been there 4 times in past four years), Italians generally lean towards alot of bureacracy with minimum of enforcement --- essentially we got lots of rules and rules were made to be broken. <BR> <BR>If I were you I'd try to go the carry-on route; and make sure that you have type of baggage that you can easily lock (bring along those small locks) should they insist that it gets checked in. <BR> <BR>Have you called Alitalia or your travel agent to check on the 'official' story?

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Ed

Tina's almost correct. It's not uncommon for Italians to create monstrously bureaucratic regulations ... and then utterly fail at enforcement. <BR> <BR>That's the good news. <BR> <BR>The bad news is that "fail" doesn't mean the regulations won't be enforced, it just means that they may not be, or may be, or some new rule may be made up on the spot and enforced rigorously ... for a while. <BR> <BR>Regardless of the research you do beforehand, irrespective of whom you're able to contact, it's likely you will not know what rules will be enforced until you go to get on the plane. <BR> <BR>I love Italy. Be warned, though, that, on occasion, one has to have a sense of humor to visit there ... and even more when one flies Alitalia. Expect the unexpected, and roll with the punches.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Nancy

Pam, I do not think that anyone at Alitalia paid any attention to my carry on. I had a large Le Sack purse and a 15" EagleCreek carryon. They were not checked for weight, and I'm sure that they would have been over the limit that people are suggesting. Especially on the way home, when I had 5 bottles of olive oil and a few choice bottles of wine packed away. I slid my bag under my seat, no problem...hmmm, where is that Limoncello?? Have a good trip!!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:54 AM
pam

Thanks so much everyone for the info and the prompt replies.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 06:03 AM
carol

Pam, I must tell you that on departure from New York, I have seen several individuals stopped at the Alitalia gate because one person had two pieces of carryon luggage. In each instance, one piece had to be checked.