Reload this Page >

Leaving Soon!! Need ideas for Southen Spain/Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 10:23 AM
Anne

I have traveled extensively in Europe, but this will be my first trip to Spain and I can't wait! Based on many suggestions, I am flying directly into and out of Seville and plan to spend a full week in the area. My plan right now is to spend 5 nights in Seville and 2 nights in Granada (managed to get a reservation at the parador there which people seem to rave about!) We have rented a car for the full week and plan on doing lots of day trips - my question to all of you is where should we go?? I'd like to allow two days to explore Seville which leaves three days for daytrips from Seville; then one day for exploring Granada and one day to see another town nearby. I have seen so many great suggestions through this forum so I'm hoping for lots of good ideas - any help that you can provide would be greatly apporeciated! Thanks in advance....

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 11:32 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

May be too late now, but I would have done 3 nites in Seville and then 2 nites <BR>enroute to Granada, staying at Ronda and <BR>Nerja. If not possible, I still think <BR>that the Arcos to Ronda white villages <BR>deserve more time. It is a long day trip from Seville but possible. <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 11:40 AM
marija

Make sure to go to Cordoba to see the Mezquita. It's not to be missed. (The train from Seville to Cordoba is quick and efficient. The train may be preferable to driving unless you're making other stops.) I would recommend that you cut a night from Seville and spend the night at the parador in Ronda enroute to Granada. That will be easier than trying to make a day trip to the pueblos blancos. Have a great time.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:11 PM
Maira

Hi Anne! Definitely do some sightseeing in Seville--- beautiful city with a magnificent cathedral, Barrio de Santa Cruz, parque de Maria Luisa, Calle Las Sierpes (mentioned many times on Cervantes's books). <BR> <BR>For day trips, you have got to go to Merida, the birthplace of the Roman emperor Hadrian. Fantastic Roman ruins, amphitheater, aqueduct, and all. Cordova deserves a couple of day trips, specially if you want to explore the lesser known moorish towns (undiscovered gems) around the area (Cabra, Priego de Cordova, Estepa). In Estepa try Polvorones (the first cookies I learned to make). If you could get to Huelva ( a bit far) to Monasterio de La Rabida, a Franciscan monastery where Christopher Columbus stayed while trying to get economic backup for his trip. Outstanding museum includes many relics of the explorer, including the signed documents, the statue of the Virgin Mary to whom Columbus offered prayers before departure, etc... <BR> <BR>Have the best time! Spain is wonderful!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 03:55 PM
Pedro

I think good day trips from Seville could be ( my order ) <BR> <BR>Zahara de la Sierra-Grazalema-Ronda. <BR>( the best ) <BR> <BR>Cordoba <BR> <BR>Aracena ( white town, beautiful caves )-Alajar ( viewpoint or Arias montano ). <BR> <BR>Cadiz-Jerez <BR> <BR>Carmona <BR> <BR>Cazalla-Constantina-Cerro del Hierro. <BR> <BR> <BR>From Granada: <BR> <BR>-Capileira,Pampaneira and Bubion <BR>( Alpujarras )( The best ) <BR> <BR>-Güejar Sierra and Sierra Nevada <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Rebecca

I second the suggestions of Pedro. When you're in Granada, you'll be so close to the Alpujarras. Go to Pampaneira. It's a beautiful little village in the mountains. Dramatic, unique setting.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Dave Goodwin

First suggestion is take me along to carry our bags. <BR> <BR>Then: Go to Casa Blanca for tapas in Seville. It is just below the square near the city hall. Best tapas on tap. <BR> <BR>Must see. If you can get to Cordoba on the way to Grenada, there is one of the most unique catherdrals in Europe, an old mosque converted, but it keeps the Islamic architecture in a way I have never seen. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:20 PM
t

t