Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving soon for northern England/Scotland

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:32 PM
kam

Hello all, Am within two weeks of leaving for Yorkshire/Northumberland/Edinburgh and am at a loss to decide what to pack. Anyone have any suggestions? Will be there 8/25 to 9/8. The weather usually changes somewhere around that time so I am nervous about covering all bases. Thanks.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Julie Porter

HI! We did England and Scotland late last May and the weather was quite cold. Scotland was in the 40's. It rained quite a bit both places and was considerably windy,which made it feel a bit cooler. I am sure it will be warmer now, but I would prepare for fall-ish weather. And don't forget your rain gear. I found that pullover hooded jackets were best for sightseeing: there was no worry w/umbrellas and I had a front pouch to keep my camera dry. Have fun!!!!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:53 PM
janis

kam: the weather doesn't just "change somewhere around that time" - it changes almost every day.

You can't predict the weather - soon after Julie returned from her trip (see above) there was a heat wave. A couple of weeks ago it was 80F and last week it poured.

So basically - dress in layers - nothing too heavy and no shorts and you should be fine. If it is a cold day it can be very cold walking Hadrians Wall so be sure to have a windbreaker.

Normally September is a very mild month - but as I said you can never tell.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:01 PM
John

Kam, if you can manage it, why not pack minimally then go shopping for weather-compatible clothing when you get there? Lots of good fun to be had in that manner. But Janis is right, it ought to be mild, probably quite nice.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Carla

Re the last post: you can get wonderful woolens at a fraction of the price you'd pay in London or Edinburgh, by stopping at the factory stores in Hawick, just over the Scottish border.