Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   LEAVING ON MONDAY FOR ROME (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/leaving-on-monday-for-rome-397909/)

ccarroga Feb 11th, 2004 08:06 AM

LEAVING ON MONDAY FOR ROME

I still can not decide on a day trip ???
I am traveling with my 14 yr old daughter and we are both open to suggestions.
I was thinking Pompeii, Orvieto, Tivoli but now wondering if Florence would be possible and if so how long what would it cost etc...
We are spending 6 wks in Italy from late July - 8/31 and we are flying into Milan so Im wondering if Florence is better off to wait until then??
Im still putting those plans together - just trying to get thru 1 trip at a time : )
Any information would be helpful

Lorac1127 Feb 11th, 2004 08:14 AM

My first instinct is to say a day trip to Pompeii.

But, I can remember being in Pompeii and there were lots of local school groups touring the sight. Some of the kids were quite interested, and some were totally bored.

Only you know your daughter's interests and which has the most appeal for her. For what it's worth, my husband and I loved Pompeii.

ira Feb 11th, 2004 08:19 AM

Hi cc,

Florence is possible, but I don't recommend such a rushed trip.

Train schedules and costs areat www.trenitalia.com.

barbmike Feb 11th, 2004 08:31 AM

I'm really confused on this thread (at my age, it doesn't take much). Your heading says "Leaving on Monday For Rome", but you state you'll be in Italy for 6 weeks starting in late July. Are you taking 2 trips? I'm beginning to sound a little like Patrick and that scares me!!! Mike

ccarroga Feb 11th, 2004 10:34 AM

I apologize it does sound confusing....
We are taking 2 trips the first is 2/16 - 2/26 and the 2nd is 7/16-8/31
I think I will save Florence for another time
So Pompeii it is??
What about the others I mentioned?
Sorry to be a pain

Dog_Mother Feb 11th, 2004 10:52 AM

If you go to Pompeii, you might also go to Sorrento and Capri. I don't know about tides, etc., but you might be able to go to the Blue Grotto. I think a 14-year-old would like that.

DM

ParadiseLost Feb 11th, 2004 10:58 AM

Don't go to Pompeii on Feb 20, there is an 8hr train strike (1000-1800).
I posted Rome to Pompeii daytrip directions on Ira's "Helpful Information: Italy" thread. Regards, Walter

SuzieC Feb 11th, 2004 11:00 AM

On a school trip I went to Rome. A day trip was to Pompeii. That was in 196.... something. And to this day I remember EVERYTHING! Incredible. I think a 14 year old would love it and be sure to buy her a cameo as a momento!
I still have mine after all these years...

ccarroga Feb 11th, 2004 01:14 PM

Thank you for the strike info!!!
Yes I think Pompeii sounds like a good idea and the cameo will be a great souvenoir for her : )
I am so excited !!! I cant wait to go.
Thank you all for your help

sorriso Feb 11th, 2004 02:38 PM

Consider Ostia Antica for a day trip. It's closer to Rome so you can spend more time there. You'll get ruins, art and the feel of an ancient city.

Linda

BATUFFOLINA Feb 11th, 2004 03:37 PM

Florence is actually very doable. Just take an early Eurostar train (there should be one at 7.30 am in the morning) and in one hour and a half you are in Florence. You can then take an evening train around 8 pm which arrives in Rome at at 9.30 or so. I actually did it when my fiance' (now hubby) came to visit me in Rome and we had time to visit Uffizi (have a cappuccino on the upper terrace with a beautiful view on the campanile (clock tower)), Santa Maria del Fiore, David di Michelangelo (which at that time was under scaffolding), have lunch at ai quattro amici restaurant and even do some shopping. Everythin totally with NO rush! The station is at walking distance from the Church, when you exit it just walk ahead of you, and then take the main street that curves a bit on your left, you will be also guided by the cupola which is to be seen from the piazza outside the station, you cant miss it. So I vote for Florence.
Pompei is IMO too extensive to visit in one day, I did it once when I was 14 and I was staying with my mom and aunt in a hotel in Naples, but it was too large to visit well in one day... I am not saying you cant do it, but it will be quite tiring.... and there are 2 trains to take: the Eurostar Rome-naples and then the circumvesuviana from naples to Pompeii. A guided tour is preferrable because the guide shows you the most important things.
Ostia is also a lovely place. Orvieto is a little jewel...what can I say? Again my vote is for Florence!

ccarroga Feb 12th, 2004 06:44 AM

Batuffolina - Well now Im leaning back to Florence : ) See Im still not sure I guess we can have a few different options and just decide when we are there. So if Florence....can you tell me about train info where to get the train, how much, etc....Thanks again

BATUFFOLINA Feb 12th, 2004 08:12 AM

Sure! I suggest that you purchase the tickets at Termini Station directly. Ok, sometimes the lines a pretty long but you can also purchase the tickets at the automatic machines. There is a Eurostar train every hour from Rome (6.30, 7.30, 8.30 etc, same for the return) that goes to Florence, but it usually continues to Milan (sometimes, more rarely) to Venice, so once the ticket is purchased you should check on one of the large yellow timetable posters that are around the station, to see with the train number, which is the final destination of the train, as I said, most of the ES trains end in Milan. The price of a ticket one way to Florence is about 30 euros per person (so 120 euros per two persons return ticket). It takes about 1 1/2 hours. As an alternative you could take also the Intercity but the difference between an IC and a ES is a few euros in price and a little longer in time. I usually prefer the ES because the only stop it makes is in Florence. With the Intercity it stops in Orte, Chiusi etc etc...

ccarroga Feb 12th, 2004 08:42 AM

Yes I agree the direct train is the way to go and very reasonable fares! Thanks again for the help.
I will be back on the website soon to start planning out the August travel
plans : )

noodlez04 Feb 12th, 2004 06:23 PM

Florence is a wonderful place! If you go, definately go to the Accademia to see the statue David by Michelangelo. When I saw it, I had to remind myself that my mouth was hanging open and to close it the statue was so spactacular. The street market is great, if you are in to that.

I am still in aww over Pompeii. That is not just a few buildings or something, it was a gigantic, thriving city that was completely excivated and well worth the trip.