Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Leaving on a jet plane in 6 hours" for Turkey-should we stay in Izmir or go to Slecuk to see Ephesus?

Search

"Leaving on a jet plane in 6 hours" for Turkey-should we stay in Izmir or go to Slecuk to see Ephesus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:59 AM
Debbie

Yes-the day is finally here for the big trip to Turkey! Thanks to everyone who has been nice enough to offer opinions on this "mysterious" country for our family. Word of wisdom-NEVER decide to go to Turkey with less than a weeks notice? <BR>Anyway,we are staying in Istanbul for 5 days then flying to Izmir for 2 1/2 to go see Ephesus for the day. QUESTION: Should we just <BR>stay in Izmir as our home base or take a taxi(55 miles?) to Selcuk for a planning base? Husband won't rent car so we will probably take one of those all day tours to the ruins. <BR>Hotel prices are about the same for both cities. Any last minute thoughts would be so appreciated as I am pulling my hair out on this decision! Thanks everyone!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:17 AM
Dave

I really enjoyed Selcuk on its own merits: it is a nice little city with a good museum, an impressive hilltop castle and the ruins of St John's Basilica - with great views. (Mosquitos were terrible after dark when I was there, though) <BR> <BR>There is a good bus service from Izmir to Selcuk, so it might not be necessary to hire a taxi. <BR> <BR>Selcuk is close enough to the ruins at Ephesus that a taxi should be quite inexpensive; my hotel even had a "free" shuttle (the ""'s are a reference to the obligatory stop at a carpet shop before returning to the hotel.) <BR> <BR>Ephesus is easy to walk around on your own, so a tour group isn't really necessary. I would strongly recommend getting there EARLY to avoid the crowds; this is another argument for staying overnight. I was able to find a fairly nice en-suite double room for $US, which is another benefit of staying in Selcuk.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:19 AM
Dave

Oops, that should be $8US per night.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:41 AM
Susan

Debbie, have a wonderful trip! I would love to be able to go somewhere with only a week's notice ....... on the other hand, thinking about and planning the trip is part of the enjoyment. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:43 AM
StCirq

I would stay in Selcuk. Izmir is interesting but fairly big and chaotic. Staying in Selcuk would make it easier and less expensive for you to get to Ephesus, and it's a very pleasant town.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:38 AM
Debbie

Thanks for the responses-the darling husband has finally consented to renting a a car. We will stay in Selcuk and then tour Ephesus from there. The moral of the whole story is NEVER wait to the last minute on cashing in your credit card miles for a spring break trip-that is how we ended up with Turkey(every plane was full to Europe!)I have learned so much from this forum and my reading about Turkey in the travel books that I think that even my two teenagers are excited.(Or as my 18 year son said-"Everyone is wondering WHY we picked Turkey?"). Now for the 13 hour flight from Chicago..................... <BR>Thanks again to all who have shared-will let you know how it was when we get back.Debbie

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:28 AM
Patrick

By the time you get back you will have a million ways to tell everyone "why we picked Turkey". It is wonderful and I think you will be very glad that everything else was filled. I agree to stay overnight in Selcuk. But I would try to just do simple travel on your own to Ephesus, unless you relish the thought of an organized tour stopping for an hour or so at a rug and crafts exhibition and hard sell lecture. I am not sure if it is possible to book a "tour" without that included. Or your hotel in Selcuk might be able to set you up with a driver/guide for the day that will cost little more that just the taxi two ways. Incidentally we toured Ephesus on our own with a whole pre-purchased and studied guide book, lots of preparations, and a bunch of suggestions from other Fodorites and friends, but we learned more just eavesdropping on the tour guides than we were getting from all our independent planning. A good guide might really be worthwhile.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:43 PM
Gloria

Good for you, Debbie! <BR>Sometimes my most fun vacations were the last minute ones! Once you hit that airport you will relax and start to feel the thrill of it all. Have a wonderful time in Turkey! Let us know how you liked it! <BR>Gloria

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:29 PM
SharonM

I loved that song! (leavin' on a jet...etc, etc...) <BR> <BR>Sorry I can't answer your question! <BR>Be Safe! <BR>Happy Traveling!