Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving In Two Days For First Trip To Italy! Thank You All For Your Help And Advice!!

Search

Leaving In Two Days For First Trip To Italy! Thank You All For Your Help And Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everybody,

Well, nine months after I started planing my trip, it is just two days away. I am so excited. I had originally booked a tour through Globus. But after finding this site and reading all the trip reports, I canceled the tour and am now going to Italy solo.

I just wanted to thank all the Fodorites that have helped me with the planning and all the wonderful advice you have given me. I have learned quite alot from all of you. Like, due to my Sleep Apnea, "don't make any major purchases or operate any heavy machinery" on my first day in Venice LOL(thanks ira). And thank you Elaine for sending me your files on the Big Three.

I promise to take good notes and post a trip report when I get back in two weeks.

Thank you all once again.

Tom

PS LoveItaly and Tiff please email at [email protected]. I have a couple of questions for the both of you.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM

You're more than welcome, and buon viaggio! Will look forward to the report.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM

I was going to comment on the gestation period for your trip but I see your name is Tom! Have a wonderful time and give us a full report, please.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:12 AM

You'll have a wonderful time! My husband & I just returned last night from our first trip to Italy. I enjoyed it even more than I expected to! Like you, I was able to glean much useful information from this message board, which definitely added to my comfort level during the trip.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got back on Friday night from Umbria, Tuscany, Florence, Venice and Rome. You will have a blast. Enjoy the vino. Have fun!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

maitaitom,

You mean you actually left some vino for the rest of us to enjoy? LOL
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"You mean you actually left some vino for the rest of us to enjoy?"

I knew some of you were going in October, so we left a few full bottles for you to enjoy.

Speaking of enjoyment, try the after-dinner drink called sgroppino which combines vodka, prosecco and lemon sorbet. It settles your stomach after devouring too much pasta and it tastes great. We had our first one in Venice at La Calcina and then had a frothier version of it at an enoteca in Trastevere.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Have a wonderful time, Tom! Too bad we won't be there at the same time as I still have two weeks to go.

MaiTai Tom, glad to hear you left some vino for the rest of us and thanks for the heads up on the new drink. Sounds yummy.

Now, let's just hope the next Tom leaves some vino, as well. Happy travels!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Hi Tom, just saw your message, I will email you of course!!! But still wanted to say here that I wish you the most beautiful two weeks in Italy, I know you will love it (and the food and wine)!! Best wishes to you.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Tom, Tom, Tom!

If you can believe this, I was running my errands today and thought to myself, "I think TRSW's Italy trip is this week!" It is funny, isn't it, when our Fodor's friends enter our minds 'out in the real world'...

I would be happy to answer any questions here. Or it would be an honor to just send you well wishes, you are going to have such a glorious time!

Remember my DH and I are just 105 days behind you!

Happy, safe journey to you!
Tiff
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

maitaitom - Thanks for the tip on the new drink. It sounds very tasty.

Tiff - Thanks for the well wishes. And yes, from time to time, out of the blue someone from Fodors will pop into my head. Only 105 days left for you? For your sake I hope they fly by.

The little Rome GTG has now reached 15 people for dinner. Looking forward to meeting everbody.

Tom
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Have a wonderful and safe trip!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Have a great trip! I think I have "spoken" with you on TA (I am also travelfun - are you chefmot?). It seems like just yesterday you were deciding whether to go with a tour or on your own...it sounds like you've planned a fantastic trip. We look forward to hearing about it upon your return. Enjoy!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:05 PM

I was just thinking today that, one year ago, I was returning from my first trip to Italy. I wish for you that yours is as fulfilling, perfect, splendid, amazing, as mine was -- also with nine months of planning and apprehension and anticipation. Will be anxious to read your report. Bon viaggio - and don't miss Sienna!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

fun4all4 - The cats out of the bag. Yes I am chefmot on TA. Sometimes it does feel just like yesterday, others it seems like years. What started out at 277 days is now down to a mere 36 hours!! Boy I can't wait!!!

Tom
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Pittsburgher - Thanks for the well wishes. Second, what a great game tonight between my Chargers and your(very hated LOL) Steelers!!!

Tom