Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   leaving in a few days-last minutes questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/leaving-in-a-few-days-last-minutes-questions-71333/)

Dru May 7th, 2000 04:33 PM

leaving in a few days-last minutes questions

Thanks to everyone for all the advice over the past months. My questions are: 1) what is the weather like in London this week, 2) how long are the days in London this time of year & 3) where better to exchange my American dollars into Bristish pounds- JFK or Heathrow? Thanks again. I'll post when I get back if anyone is interested. Dru

Candace May 7th, 2000 05:11 PM

Try www.weather.com

Lori May 7th, 2000 05:56 PM

Hi Dru, <BR>We have been back a week now and as for weather who knows .. it changed every hour or so it seemed while we were there, I believe today was 72F tho. The days are long - it was still pretty much daylight at 8:00 p.m. (well maybe coming up on twilight) which makes it real nice if you are out on a long day of sightseeing/whatever. It was light and bright pretty early in the a.m. too, like 6 a.m. We always take some British pounds that we get from our bank (Wells Fargo) so we would have a few on us when we arrived, but other than that we just used the ATM's - the rate must have been OK as my husband didn't go into shock over it :-) Seriously, only take a little for whatever you need right away (cab, etc.) otherwise use the ATM's. Enjoy the trip, we have to wait another year to go back again!

Deborah May 7th, 2000 06:41 PM

Try to use ATM cards and/or credit cards as much as possible. I have found the costs to exchange U.S. currency traveler's checks VERY high. For example, I was charged 2.5 pounds to exchange a $50 traveler's check—which amounts to a 10% charge. ATM machines are the way to go; then you are just dealing with our bank's charge.

carolyn May 8th, 2000 05:58 AM

If you wish to take traveler's checks, the bank in the basement at Harrods is the cheapest place I found to cash them.

Jerald May 8th, 2000 07:04 AM

Just back myself. If you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes. It may get better, it may get worse.Layer your clothing with some type of rain gear. Money, definately wait. ATM's are in the luggage claim area & give you the best exchange rate. I got caught short & needed cash for a cab fare. The hotel gave me 52.65 pounds for a $100 bill. The cash was not enough so I charged the cab fare. The cab company charged 10%.It's a zoo playing international financier but that is all part of the cultural experience. We did & I'm sure you'll have fun too!

S. C. DIXON May 8th, 2000 12:47 PM

ATM's are great, but a few traveler's checks are kind of a nice security blanket. Use American Express (excess?) and you can cash in any amount at NO CHARGE at A.E. outlets and they are (seemingly) everywhere. Never had a problem with them after 5 trips.

Mike in London May 9th, 2000 03:58 AM

The sun is shining as I write and about 74. However, London weather is changeable. Before you go look at www.bbc.co.uk/weather. It gives a 5 day forecast. <BR> <BR>Mike