Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for the Amalfi coast in less than a week - some questions

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I've posted several times and have received some great info. Now our trip is right around the corner and I still have just a few questions..
can anybody tell me if the ferries are running yet, and if so can they give me a link to the 2011 timetable?
How about hiking from Ravello to Amalfi - I heard it was a beautiful walk, but not sure how difficult or how long it takes..
Somebody somewhere mentioned a wine bar/ cafe in Praiano they said was very low key, but good and inexpensive. I cannot find the post. Any thoughts?
Any other suggestions for places to eat... have already received quite a few suggestions, but particularly looking for casual and (if possible) reasonably priced. Seems that the best way to do that is to get away from the main towns but not sure how easy that is to do without a car.
Also, we are making our own way to Praiano from Naples airport. Planning to take the Currieri bus to Sorrento then the SITA bus. If we miss the bus if our flight is delayed, I believe there are a couple of other options.. details would be great. Sorry if this has already been answered on one of my previous posts...

thanks
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Here's the recently published ferry schedule:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/133933414

Enjoy!
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Here's another from metro del mare -- http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/ has a lot more places they service, with more frequent times
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
ira

Hi gb,

>If we miss the bus if our flight is delayed, I believe there are a couple of other options.. details would be great.<

The bus leaves at 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, 14:30, 16:30, 19:30

>...hiking from Ravello to Amalfi ....

Take a cab or the bus up and walk down.

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
GAC

BEWARE: Metro del Mare will not be operating in 2011.

Between Sorrento and Positano, Alicost will have very limited service from mid-April through September or October. Between Positano/Amalfi/Salerno-Concordia Dock, Cooperativa Sant'Andrea will operate small ferry boats from April through October.

www.alicost.com

www.coopsantandrea.it

www.sitabus.it

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...A/QUADROXV.pdf
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 06:26 PM

Yikes, GAC, I had no idea! And I'm going there myself in a couple of month - thank goodness I saw your post. I wonder why their website is still posting a schedule. Do you know why they've stopped?
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM

That's sort of shocking. If I were traveling to the area, I would try to get more information on this, either though hotels or tourist offices.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Would-be users of the MdM may find this useful...

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-for-2011.cfm

Peter
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 09:01 PM

And perhaps, rather than blinding trusting that copy of the Alicost line's timetable cited above, you might be better to look here - where I'll post news of such updates as they issue them....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Campania.html

They're now on the season's third version, and you wouldn't want to be using one that's already out of date?

Peter
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM

I can answer your question re hiking from Ravello down to Amalfi. It actually only took a little over an hour (to Atrani, then it's another 15 minutes to Amalfi, but you can rest and get a drink or gelato in Atrani). But it sure as hell felt like a lot longer. I think we estimated it to be around 4000 steps (that's based on the 1000 steps of the walk from Anacarpi down that we had done a few days before on Capri). But it's either paved or well packed dirt paths mixed with a LOT of steps. There are a few nice views but none that compare with what you got up in Ravello itself. Mostly it's through lemon groves, fields of olive trees, etc. It's quite well marked.

I think I described it more in my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm