Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Leaving for Paris TOMORROW!! Need some shopping recommendations for face product s and childrens clothing and toys !

Leaving for Paris TOMORROW!! Need some shopping recommendations for face product s and childrens clothing and toys !

Oct 12th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Leaving for Paris TOMORROW!! Need some shopping recommendations for face product s and childrens clothing and toys !

I would like a small store in the St Germaine area if possible for face products, or if anyone knows of a good store that would be great. I love good products, and make-up so if anyone know of a place they really like I would be really appreciative. A great base I would love too!

I also have a new grandaughter. So some childrens clothings stores, and toy stores woul be really helpful.I know it's last minute but I have been busy checking on other things on the board.
If you have any ideas I'd appreciate your help.
Gayle
Oct 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM

My favorite shopping place for cosmetics and fragrance is City Pharmacie on the corner of rue du Four and rue Bonaparte, about a 5 minute walk from church of St germain de Pres. There are several lovely children's shops along rue Jacob..don't remember any names though.
Oct 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Well you can purchase Darphin at the Pharacies in Paris. I bought a great deal of it on my first trip. On our second trip I picked up Decleor at La Samaritaine(sp-the big department store). It's the one you can venture up to the roof terrace restaurant and have a great view of the city and it is written up in guidebooks). The Darphin was significantly less than what it was at Nieman Marcus while the Decleor was pretty much a break even by the time you factored in the exchange rate.
Oct 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM

There's a gorgeous toy shop on Faubourg St Honore called Les Sept Nains; even if you don't buy anything it's nice to have a look around there. And Baby Dior on Avenue Montaigne! Or Bonpoint, same street.
For more reasonably priced clothes, the department stores do nice children's clothes too (Printemps, Galleries Lafayettes)
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Le Samaritaine has been closed for about a year now and may not every reopen, at least according to rumor
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I think the Samaritaine reference was just for price comparison of Decleor products, not a recommendation to shop there.
Anyway, I too found Decleor prices between France and the U.S. not that different. However, I did find that Darphin products (which I also use) are less expensive in Paris and are very good. In addition, the availability of Darphin products is not as complete as in France. AND most sellers of Darphin products will be more than happy to supply you with lots of free samples which are pretty generously size. I use their samples when traveling.
There are some excellent children's shops (and pharmacies) on and around the Avenue Victor Hugo. Outstanding quality, French made. Stroll from the Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) down the Ave. Victor Hugo to the Place Victor Hugo. You will pass several shops. Also, just off the Ave. VH, on the Ave. Raymond Poincare is a beautiful children's clothing store.
I also really like the kids' clothes from Catimini and Kenzo, both available in Paris. My young niece loves them too.
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:35 AM

There are been several posts on here specifically about children's shops in Paris, as I recall, although maybe you don't have time to search them.

Decleor is just a regular brand that you can buy in many places and stores, even Sephora, so it doesn't really matter than Samaritaine is closed for it (although don't go there looking for it, that's true). You can just go to a dept. store for main brands like that.
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:37 AM

gchizz1,

There a children clothes store which I like at the corner of Rue Saint Benoit and Rue Jacob called "Le Petit Faune".

There various "Nathaly's", also the children section in "Bon Marché".

There's an Agnes.B. Boutique selling children clothes on Rue Saint Sulpice.

For toys, I like a small store that sells mostly educational and hand craft toys on Rue Dauphine, also "Bois de Rose" is on the same Street, selling children clothes.

Oct 12th, 2006, 09:39 AM

There is a small store in St Germain that sells everything to do with Le Petit Prince. Don't know if that's your interest. I'm trying to find the street name. I know it ran between St Germain and the Seine, near St Germain des Pres church.
Oct 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Bonpoint on rue de l'Universite

Tartine et Chocolate, Jacadi--both on Blvd. St. Germain, towards 7th.

Adorable shoes, even for newborns, at any Pom d'Api--there is one corner rue du Fou and rue Bonaparte, in 6th.

Bois de Rose, rue Dauphine,6th. Hand-smocked dresses; forget if they have them for newborns, since I just discovered this shop and no longer need tiny girls' outfits.

The Gal. Layfette has beautiful clothes, too, but not necessarily less expensive, IMO. But you may get the visitor's 10% off, plus detaxe refund, if you spend enough $, not hard to do.

Four years ago I got my granddaughter-to-be her coming home from hospital outfit at Tartine et Chocolate; they have very lovely clothes for the very young (and older).

Au Nain Bleu for toys.

Have fun! Such enjoyment, shopping for grandchildren in Paris. I kind of splurged with the first but am trying to be a bit more restrained as family grows. But it's very hard, especially with all the very tempting girls' clothes.

Sergeant Major is more reasonable than the places I mentioned above, and so is Monoprix, which has good selection of children's clothes, also.
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Pom d'Api--make that rue du FOUR
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Le Petit Prince on Rue de l'Echaude is no longer there. I also liked that place, but it has been replaced by an art gallery. There is another toy store on that street, but it is mostly collectibles with little in the Little Prince category.
Nov 12th, 2007, 03:11 AM
ira

Hi G,

Another vote for City Pharmacie.

Nov 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM
ira

OOOPS

Misread the OP date.

Search this Thread