Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Paris in less than 72 hours...what to do in Paris if it's raining???

Search

Leaving for Paris in less than 72 hours...what to do in Paris if it's raining???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so excited, we're leaving on Thursday evening for Paris, finally! But the forecast is calling for a few (hopefully not too many) possibly rainy days...we were thinking of going to Versailles on Sunday, but if it's raining we'll have to change that...any suggestions for activities in rainy days?
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Museums and the <i>passages</i>.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Carry an umbrella, go to cafes, museums and go to Versailles anyway. There are so many things to do there you won't have a problem. We went when it was snowing and it was enchanting. In fact it snowed almost every day we were there and when it didn't snow it was cold. You'll have a great trip if you don't let a little weather bother you.
The bright side is that maybe a few tourist will stay in on the rainy days.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Why cancel Versailles if it rains?? Unless it is an absolute deluge you can do just about anything in the rain that you can in nice weather. Even if it rains it won't be cold so it could be quite pleasant. Just carry a collapsible umbrella and you will be fine . . . . .
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM

What is there to do in Paris that's remotely affected by whether it's raining or not?

What were you planning? Sunbathing?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:52 AM

My experience with rain in Paris is that it passes through. Rain is usually off and on rather than really sustained all day. If you do get a really rainy day, there are plenty of museums. But I'm with flanneruk - unless you're interested in Paris Plage, it shouldn't matter if it rains. Heck, you'll be in PARIS
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM

..so enjoy the rain. Weather makes very little differnce in Paris providing you dress appropriately. Do switch things around a bit and definitely go to a museum on the rainy days. You really can't expect good weather all the time but in a city this is not a problem. Unlewss you share the gene pool with the wicked witch of the west, don't sweat it.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM
cmt

With very minor adjustments, can't you do the same things you'd do if it were not raining, but carry an umbrella? You just might have to skip relaxing on a park bench, and possibly you will need an extra change of shoes if it's a drenching rain.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:24 AM

A rainy day in Paris, is better than most any day anywhere else...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Do what Seattleites do...don Gore-Tex and go do what you were going to do anyway. If it's rainy, just schedule an indoor day -- museums, churches, whatever you want, and maybe hold out Versailles for a sunnier day.

But even Versailles wouldn't be that bad on a rainy day...especially this time of year. The palace tour is all indoors, and you'd have the gardens to yourself. I guess it depends on whether it's raining buckets or not, but I think the Paris area doesn't have a lot of downpours.

Jules
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Shop! La Samarataine, Le Printemps, Lafayette, Bon Marche, the new Les Halles. There are enough inside things at Versailles to keep you busy if it's too soggy to be outside. Pompidou Centre, Louvre and Musee D'Orsay if you like art could keep you occupied for weeks and there are scads of other galleries!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Hasn't La Samaritaine closed?
Or not quite yet?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I didn't know about Samaritaine closing. For good or for repairs??? My husband always wondered if American movies had French sub-titles or were dubbed. We never had enough time to go to the movies but that's a possibility too.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM

La Samaritaine has closed because the old Art Deco building no longer meets the fire code and will take quite a bit of work to bring up to code. The owners say anywhere from 3 to 10 years to fix it. Some people find this hard to believe and suspect that the owners actually want to convert the department store into something else, especially since the store has not been doing well since luxury goods company LVMH bought it and tried to change it from a normal department store to yet another upscale shopping venue.

Anyway, as with anywhere else, if it rains, you find things to do indoors. Museums and shopping are the obvious choices, along with restaurants, boat cruises, movie and theater outings, and nightclubs or jazz clubs.

On average, it rains every other day in Paris, year-round. In practice, this means several days of rain, several days of sun, several days of rain, etc. July and August are the sunniest months, relatively speaking, and in recent years they've been very sunny and extremely hot (up to 30 degrees above normal, and this in a city that is ill-adapted to hot weather).
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! You are all so right! I'm not going to allow weather to get in my way of a vacation in Paris!

Travelbunny, 'Unlewss you share the gene pool with the wicked witch of the west, don't sweat it'... I just read and saw Wicked so I totally love your remark!

Less than 48 hours to go......
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks,,have a great trip.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM

For American movies, watch for the &quot;V.O.&quot; label. This means 'version originale', so an American-made movie will be in English, and will have French subtitles. European cinemas are cool as they often sell beer, and sometimes 'sweet' popcorn...

You can check for listings at www.cinefil.com.
We often go to the UGC-Normandie on the Champs for VO movies. (it shares an entrance with the Lido).
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...mp;tid=1406946
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Just take an umbrella and do whatever you were going to do anyway. You're not going to melt from a couple of drops of water.

(Do you change all your plans at home every time it rains?? Or perhaps you live in one of those areas where people never walk - just drive everywhere?)