Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > leaving for London Monday...nitty gritty stuff....

leaving for London Monday...nitty gritty stuff....

Jul 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

leaving for London Monday...nitty gritty stuff....

we are staying in london for 11 nights. i have gotten some great advise from this forum. We are staying in a flat in for 7 nights and a hotel for the remaining 4 nights (thank you janisj). we are planning day trips.......are there certain things that i should or should not do on weekends? i was thinking of going to bath on a saturday...is that a good idea or not? will everything be open.... and staying in london on sunday vs traveling on a sunday. we enjoy weekend markets ...

i think cambridge or oxford would be better during the week....no?
also which would you choose if you only were able to visit one. cambridge or oxford...both as a day trip from london....
Jul 30th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Alane, in the process of planning a similar trip. From my research, Bath is much busier (and more expensive) on the weekend. Please share your trip report when you return, we leave at the end of August and I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Jul 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Most tourist places are busiest at weekends because that's when the locals have the time to visit them. They don't close when they can expect the most customers unless Saturday or Sunday is a business day for them (eg churches).
Jul 31st, 2011, 10:45 PM

Bath is tricky to do a daytrip to, because day return train prices on weekdays don't click in till after 9.30 or so, by when you're going to arrive a bit late to see the city properly and the full price return is substantial. THe bus really isn't practical for a daytrip. It's generally too late to get decent deals on advance train bookings. But at weekends, the time restriction doesn't apply - so Saturday's a much cheaper day to travel. (check all this on www.nationalrail.co.uk). It is, though, the day crowds (not just of tourists, but of local shoppers) are at their greatest - but central Bath's reasonably big and can absorb them

It's a different issue for Oxford/Cambridge. The train journey time's shorter, they've both got viable bus alternatives, and advance purchase on trains to Oxford is more widely available (often up to the day before) anyway. Neither depend much on UK tourists: so certainly Oxford's historic attractions don't get much more crowded at summer weekends than on summer weekdays. However, both are significant regional shopping centres, so getting between the historic/architectural sites can get crowded (in Oxford right now: downright gruesome) on Saturdays and between 11 and 4 on Sundays.

The differences between the two are pretty marginal. Unless you've got something specific you're interested in, Cambridge is likely to be the prettier for a daytrip. It's also impossible for it to be any more crammed with tourist groups than Oxford is right now, and is highly likely to be a very great deal less congested.

Search this Thread