Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for London/Dublin trip...any restaurant suggestions?

May 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going on our first trip to London and Dublin next week, and we were wondering what are the best restaurants we can hit during our stay? We will be staying in the Westminster area in London, and in Clontarf when we visit Dublin. I was thinking about making reservations to Fifteen (Jamie Oliver's restaurant) for lunch one day, but any other suggestions would be great. I definately want to try some authentic British/Irish food, and we are also foodies, so anything goes!

Thank you in advance for your help!
May 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM

In London, we just had a wonderful meal at Incognito.
May 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM

In Dublin Shanahans in St Stephens Green is an excellent American owned very expensive steak restaurant. Chapter One in Parnell Square on the north side of the city deserves the Michelin star it got this year. See www.irelands-blue-book.ie for other quality places.
May 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM

If you are a foodie and in Clontarf. Go to Hemmingways on Vernon ave in Clontarf. Its a fish shop and kinda tapas place...hard to explain. He sells fish to the public but they have a counter and you sit at with high stools. You can get wine by the glass and bottle, choose one of the set meals i.e. anything from Paella to mixed tapas seafood plate or they can cook a fresh piece of fish you choose. Its not silver service but excellent food and fun in the evenings. This is a local haunt and drop in or call to book 2 seats (No tables just shated bar with stools. Its very social and fun at the weekends. I go here most weekends and have yet to be disappointed. He is renovating in a few weeks to turn it into a full Tapas bar. and losing the fishmonger sales side.
May 17th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

I love Fodors, because you get immediate responses! Thank you all for your restaurant ideas! I will keep them in mind when we are vacationing! It is good to get the low down on places from real people instead of critics. Thank you!
May 18th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Chapter one does an early bird/pre theatre menu from 5-7.

I also like the Trocadero. Its a buzzy theatre crowd place with a nice bar in the back. European style food and on the expensive side but always a fun enjoyable place.
May 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
tod

We enjoyed Rules very much - the food is very nice and the wall murals depicting past and present Prime Ministers of Great Britain are fantastic. I liked the portrayal of Maggie Thatcher the most - that hair!!
May 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Botticelli. Loved this one and went a few times.

http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Botticelli_Dublin__7481

http://chefmoz.org/Ireland/Co._Dubli...971805006.html
May 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM

To be honest I am not a fan of Boticelli. Its a tourist trap that deals in large numbers. Milano (Pizza expess) is better just down from it and for real italian and excellent wines Try Enotecca della Langhe in the Bloom quater across the millenium bridge. There are 2 wine bars, coffee shop and Bar Italia which is Roman style italian. Alll wines are imported from italy and its a buzzy cafe atmosphere on a nice day outside. The owner loves is Irish with connections to Piedmonte. great for a foodie. Also there are no bookings but le Gueleton is great for lluch and dinner. Its french and drop by early place your name on the list and go across the road to the Market bar for a drink. Well worth it. Also Darwin's on Angier street is also owned by the SHanahans crowd and good steak and continental food.
May 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear it's a tourist trap SoibhanP, maybe things have changed since I was there a number of years ago. At that time it was a local resident of Dublin who took us there for the first time and we loved it enough to go back several times during my stay in Dublin.
May 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Mishka, Its not awful its just a few more places opened in the past few years that raised the bar for Italian food in Dublin to more authentic. Its not the worst but I think there is much better. Its good for large groups and a lot of hen and stags go as well. I think its good for kids too in the day and early eve but there is much better for the price these days. When I moved here there was only one awful affordable Italian place and its much more popular now. Actually agrat place as well and casual is on Parliament Street at the end of Temple bar is Ciao Bella Roma. Excellent Pizza and pasta and Italian owned. They have another place off Grafton street called Steps of Rome that does Pizza by the slice that one is more a cafe than restaurant.
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM

ttt = topping - to bring your post back up after it sinks - doesn't take long - rather than reposting again
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I'm going to bring it back up to the top again. It sank some and I think wendygh missed it.