Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LEAVING FOR LONDON, BRUGES, AND AMSTERDAM--ANY LAST MINUTE SUGGESTIONS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Harvey

I will be leaving for London (7 days), Bruges (3 days), and Amsterdam (7 days) on April 29th. Does anyone have any last minute suggestions. I am flying into Gatwick, will be traveling alone and am taking the Eurostar from London to Brussels. Thanks for so many helpful suggestions in planning this trip.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Amy

Eat the belgian fries with mayo from either of the carts in the markt in Bruges! Drink the raspberry beer.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Larry

Since your Eurostar ends in Brussels, I hope you will spend at least one full day there. It is beautiful. And you will probably go thru both Ghent and Antwerp to get to Amsterdam. Try to spend some time in both. I think you should shave a couple of days off Amsterdam and give them to Flanders

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:26 AM
sue

I agree that a day in Antwerp on your way to Amsterdam would be well worth it (shave a day off Amsterdam). And it is on the way, between Bruges and Amsterdam. While in Bruges, buy lots of chocolates - chocolate shops are everywhere and they are amazingly good and amazingly inexpensive.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Heather

Harvey, it sounds like a wonderful trip. I have a few notes from my trip to Bruges last year that I will paste in below. Also, I found it very easy to meet people in Bruges (especially over a beer or two) and thought it was a perfect place to travel solo.<BR><BR>Notes:<BR>Dining & Beer & Chocolate: Highly recommend Gruuthuse Hof (Mariastraat 36, 050/33.06.14, closed Weds.) for lunch or dinner. A three-course meal, including a fabulous roasted chicken with pepper sauce, plus wine and hot tea was less than $20. And, the staff was attentive and quite nice. A small place with a nice attention to detail. Also ate a great large lunch at a restaurant across from the Belfry (if you put your back to the Belfry, it is the second restaurant from the right - sorry, lost the card for this place). <BR>The beer spoiled me for life. Two outstanding pubs/bars are De Garre in a small walkway off of Wollestraat behind the Belfry, and the other is Brugs Beertje, between Goezeputstraat and St.-Jan in De Meers off of Westmeers (makes more sense looking at a map, but ask anyone for either place as they’re very well known). Both places serve 100s of ungodly good Belgian beers. Had I been of sounder mind, I would've made a list of those that I tried, but just ask for suggestions if you aren’t sure (although the bartenders tend to serve triple-strength beers when you leave it up to them). Also toured the Straffe Hendrike Brewery, which was interesting and involved a “free” beer at the end of the tour. If you are interested in taking home Belgian beer (the stuff that they export to the US is *not* the same), the Bottle Shop on Wollestraat close to the Belfry has a terrific selection (unfortunately, they do not ship). <BR>Hands down, my favorite chocolate shop was Dumon (two locations: Eirmarkt6, 050/34.62.82; and Walstraat 6, 050/34.00.43). I bought a number of gift boxes here that were happily received by my family and friends. Christophe, who runs the shop on Walstraat and is the brother of the gentleman who makes all of the chocolate, is absolutely charming and very helpful. He is extremely knowledgeable about Bruges and was happy to answer many questions. I’m not even a sweets/chocolate lover and was won over by Dumon’s. Between the chocolate and beer, be prepared to fill another small carryon.<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:44 PM
kay

If museums are on your itinerary in Holland, consider buying the annual pass to all national museums for about $35, even though you'll be there only a week. You'll need a small picture (photocopy your passport picture if you don't have a spare or time to get a new one taken) because the pass is not transferrable. Buy the pass at the first museum you visit (individual museum fees are in the $4 to $8 range) or possibly at Visitor Information centers.<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:50 PM
denise

Although you didn't mention it, I hope you're planning to spend some time in Brussels. It's a great city, especially nice at night when the Palace is all lit up and there is lively music going in the square. I love Brugge as well and know you will find it absolutely charming. Of the places you're going, my least favorite is Amsterdam though others seem to like it. I've been there twice and still don't find the intrigue like there is in Brussels and Brugge. Have a wonderful trip and report to us "wanna be's" when you return.