Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Italy on Sunday - Last minute TIPS????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites:

It is finally here......my wife and I are leaving for our much awaited trip to Italy on Sunday. We were wondering if we should ARRIVE in Rome with Euro's from the U.S., or wait to get some from the ATM at the airport(?). If so, is there a limit and how much would you "suggest" we carry. We like to us American Express for everything we can.

Please, any last minute advice is very, very welcome. Anything else, we need to consider? Many thanks!!!!

Will provide report when we get back. We are going to Rome, Assisi, Florence, Venice, Bellagio, and leaving out of Milan. 18 day trip.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM

If you haven't notified your banks (for both ATM card and credit card accounts) that you will be out of the country, be sure to do that before you leave. Otherwise they may put a security hold on your accounts.

I have never felt a need to get euros in advance of arrival, but other people like the security of having cash on hand in case the ATM(s) at the airport is out of service or there is a long line. It's personal preference.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I hope that you have a wonderful time and I look forward to your trip report. I did not go to Italy till our son graduated college and we went on a family trip. I think Italy is so special to me b/c of being older when seeing it for the 1st time. I hope you are going to Venice by train, b/c nothing compares to walking out of the station and seeing Venice laid out before you. Like something from an incredible dream!!
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I agree with cheryllj, wait 'til you arrive. Rome will have plenty of ATMs (lowest transaction costs) and exchanges. If you need something right off the plane, many places will take USD and give you Euro's in change.

As for American Express, bring a Visa or Mastercard, too. I found many places that wouldn't take American Express but had no issues with Visa. I also take a few hundred emergency dollars and distribute throughout my bags. Not exactly high security, but it's in case I get in a jam somewhere. I start to spend/exchange it about half-way through the trip.

If you've done a lot of traveling, you already know this...but, pack your bags in advance, carry them around a bit, then adjust the contents until you're comfortable. Each trip I take less stuff than the previous, yet I still manage to overpack. I also maintain a packing list that I have refined over the years - it allows me to make sure I've covered all bases including the homefront (pre-pay bills, mail stoppage, contact numbers, water the plants, etc).

Have a great time!

Regards, Bruce
Italy Travel Photography -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...l2_z_italy.htm
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
ira

Hi RR,

Many people like to pick up about $100 worth of Euro at the departure airport.

Enjoy your visit.

)
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM

dont forget to try as many flavors of gelato as possible.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM

If you are interested, I returned last week and wrote a short tips and observations type posting here on Fodors. Just click on my name to see it. My best advice is to try the wine made in whichever region you are in and eat the food of the region as well. Have a good trip.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM

The ATM/Euro question has several aspects besides the transaction cost.

Card type: Use ATM/Check cards, not credit cards which hits you with many many many fees and interest.

Card functionality: Not all cards work outside U.S. as a default. Call the customer service to enable foreign usage without triggering fraud detections.

ATM functionality: The recommendation differs whether one has experienced problem or not. I had my share of ATMs not giving me money, so I go with an assumption that ATMs work most of the time but not always. What it means is that I avoid situations where not being able to get Euro will be very disruptive. Specifically, I use check cards from three different banks in addition to never go below two days worth of Euro up to the day before returning. Are ATMs everywhere? It depends on where you are and what constraints you have to deal with.

Number to reach your bank: The U.S. 800 numbers for checkcards (and credit cards) are usually not tollfree from Europe. Some reported that you can use the 800 number if you are willing to pay for it, but I have not had 800 numbers work at all. Inquire your banks how you are supposed to call them from Italy. Don’t settle for “800 number” will work. It might, but protect yourself by having non-toll free numbers and have means of calling that number cheaply, such as VOIP or Italian international phone card which you can call U.S. cheaply from your hotel room. Visa and Mastercard also have European toll free numbers to talk to Visa/MC for at no cost.

The amount of cash you should carry should match your objectives.

I use the last hotel to adjust how much Euro I want to be with me as I head to the airport. Too much Euro – use Euro to pay off my hotel bill – sometimes get a cash discount. The hotels never refused the cash offer.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Call the companies that issue the cards.
#1 As said above, tell them your travel plans so that they unblock the cards.

For my last trip to Europe, I moved an additional thousand $ to my checking account. I sat at the bank's customer service desk and told them my plans. The CSR added a comment to file, but her comment did not remove the fraud block. My ATM card worked the first day, but never thereafter (arrrrgh).

#2 Understand the costs. It is not simple. Your exchange rate changes (possibly daily, also there is more than one set of exchange rates). In addition, Some (most) cards charge a 3.0% international transaction fee. I have heard that some Capital One have a 1% or 0% international fee. What does AmeX have?

#3 As said above, Amex will not be universally accepted in Europe.

#4 The PIN system in Europe is set for four numbers. Evidently a few US cards allow some different. non compatible PIN system.
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM

You might want to check your cash limit on your ATM card. Most cards have two daily limits. one for cash from an ATM and one for purchases. You might have a cash limit of $250 or $300 dollars. Ask your bank to raise it while you are overseas to maybe $500.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
And know how much euro = your limit. You will probably have a 250€ limit set by the machine.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Fodorites, you all have given some excellent information. I called my bank (Bank of America) and they were glad I did, because they DO block it. They told me I can withdraw up to $704 USD per day. I suppose that will be approx. 530 Euro(?). Give or take a few.

Also called AMEX, they told me that only if my "spending pattern" gets out of the "norm" will it raise flags. I told them that since I don't go to Italy very often, and will be purchasing from vendors I've never dealt with - that should be a flag.

Keep the great tips coming. We leave on Sunday and still lots of little details to take care of. Thanks!!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

BTW, thanks for the "heads up" on the credit card companies charging for transactions - - didn't know that, and the Euro is high enough; plus having a recession in the U.S. isn't helping matters. Thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Just got back last week..

We used our VISA card the entire time..I don't care about the fees, I din't want anyone to mess with my ATM (i.e. checking account)..if I had any fraud issues, its on my Visa card, not my checking account..

We took Euros with us and needed more after a couple of days...trying to take money out of the bank was a issue for us because we arrived after the May 1 holiday and I was told there was no cash in this particular branch...very odd I thought..and be forewarned about getting into the branch..this one branch I walked into had some kind of revolving door that you must go through..well, no one told me that I had to take my keys, change, and anything else out that sounded off the metal alarm..they looked at me like I was crazy...most eateries take Visa..some took only cash..ask before you order..

have fun!
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM

If you are interested, you can watch my video tours online. They may give you some ideas on some lesser known places to see. You can also print out the tours as a book. It is located in the library area.

http://www.passagetoroma.com/index.p...d=46&Itemid=61

Have fun!!!

dave