Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Florence on Wednesday. any last minute advice?

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 08:53 PM
richardab

I am leaving for my vacation in Florence on Wednesday. An last minute advice? sights? Restaurants? Shops?

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Rex

Well, the obvious in sights: Uffizi, Accademia, Duomo, Pitti Palace, Palazzo Vecchio, Santa Croce. <BR> <BR>But book reservations and avoid standing forever in line. <BR> <BR>http://www.weekendafirenze.com <BR> <BR>And you might want to make a bee line for the bookstore first thing tomorrow (or monday) morning, richard... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:19 PM
richardab

I have a stack of books, I was looking for secrets!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Rex

Ah, well okay - - I did you better for Salzburg and Munich. My knowledge of Florence secrets is no doubt inferior to what others will offer here. <BR> <BR>But I plan to remedy that soon! <BR> <BR>Reserving to stay out of those long lines is the best I have to offer, for now. <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:54 PM
cmt

Short side trip (by public bus) to Fiesole = wonderful <BR> <BR>most pleasant "major" museum: Bargello (sculpture) <BR> <BR>shop: Il Papiro (cartoleria) at various locations in Florence <BR> <BR>interesting less famous museum: Museum of History of Science <BR> <BR>cheap good lunch: Buy bread, roasted peppers, cheese, olives, ham or mortadella or salami, drinks, fruit at food stores and find a nice spot to sit and eat

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Judy

Michelangelo self-portrait sculpture "Pieta" in Museo dell'opera del Duomo,very moving.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Larry

Richard, eat gelato three times a day - try the hazelnut (nocciola or something like that), go across the river to Piazzale Michelangelo for a fantastic view of Florence. Can take a local bus there. Buon viaggio.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Betsy

Medici Chapel. Magical.