Advice; Ski-ing in Spain

Search

Advice; Ski-ing in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice; Ski-ing in Spain

I am considering ski-ing in Spain and would appreciate comments on Andorra vs Sierra Nevada and if the Andorra resorts differ.

We are a mixed party from Red through to absolute beginners and 50 to 4, the teenager would prefer to board.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:49 AM
JFlorides

I was in Sierra Nevada at the very end of season - late March this year. I am a boarder (or perhaps should say I WAS a boarder, after a broken wrist I may have hung up my board for good!).

We were a group of 4 in our 30s, 3 skiers and one (ex?)boarder all of different skill levels. The resort certainly had something for everyone. We went too late in the season for good skiing - towards the end of the week the slopes were quite icy, hence the broken wrist.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:52 AM
JFlorides

sorry, hit post by mistake!

I haven't been to Andorra so can not compare, hopefully someone else can. If you have not been to Granada the sierra nevada has the attraction of being less than an hour from a fabulous city.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM

When are you planning this ski trip? A number of resorts are very popular and fill up quickly over the weekends. The only ones that I'm familiar with are in the Pyrenees.

Gourette & Astun (Pyrénées Atlantiques)

Le Somport, Candanchú & Panticosa Resorts (Port de Somport, north of Jaca)

Formigal Ski resort in Sallent de Gállego (also north of Jaca)

There is also terrific skiing in Val D'Aran at the Salardu ski resort and in Espot.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Sadly, planning UK spring half term. i.e. Feb '06. Your geography is much better than mine. Any hints as to where the resorts you mention are?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:33 PM

All of the resorts mentioned are in the Pyrénées Atlantiques or Midi, along the border between France and Spain. They usually have great skiing until early spring because of their elevations. If you do a name search, you'll find them. The Panticosa Resort is still in the process of renovation on some of its buildings, but the main hotel, spa and restaurant are open as are the sky runs. This will be a premier resort when completed.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Hi Robert,
Astun is right by Candanchu (Pyrenees Atlantiques is the french side, usually with more snow).

Iīd say that the first spot would be for Andorra, Baqueira and Sierra Nevada, Andorra being more popular with UK skiers. Then I would move to the Aragon Pyrenees, and I would choose as a first option Formigal (if they manage to finish the works they are doing, it is going to be huge), much nicer than Astun or Candanchu. Astun is very popular with snowboarders, and we used to ski there a lot, but it is small, it hasnīt grown, and although I am a good skier I donīt feel safe there.

Candanchu is more complicated, not a lot in the intermediate level, although it was one of the first places to ski in Spain ...

I found Panticosa and Cerler a bit so-so. Cerler has a lot of fans, but I feel that it is a bit far away. From Jaca (or Formigal, if you stay there), you can always pop for a day trip to Pau and Oloron, and there is plenty to do in the cultural side ( the cathedral, small romanesque churches, San Juan de la Peña, Loarre castle ...). And good food and pastries, of course.

Kind regards,
Cova