Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Leave for Paris one week from today - sooo excited! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/leave-for-paris-one-week-from-today-sooo-excited-831160/)

annesherrod Mar 15th, 2010 06:52 PM

Leave for Paris one week from today - sooo excited!

I am nervous and excited! I am going with my teenage daughter. DH is staying home.
I am nervous because I have not been overseas without him in 20 years so I have relied on him for big things and little things like ...navigating and watching and converting the money....

Any tidbits of wisdom or just any little must do things we should not miss!!

we have finalized the itinerary but have left some open times for last minute things or just to relax with a book in the Parisian sunshine!

elsiejune Mar 15th, 2010 07:00 PM

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. My daughter and I did the very same thing as a H.S. graduation present, and we have great memories of that trip. It's natural to be nervous and excited, but don't worry, Paris is sure to work its magic and calm you. Bon voyage, EJ

tuscanlifeedit Mar 15th, 2010 07:04 PM

Oh, good for you guys. My only advice would be to pack very light so that you aren't lugging around things that your husband usually carries.

How about a cheat sheet for conversions?

There is just too much to even get into any must do things, and I'm sure you have them all covered.

One thing we love to do in Paris is visit temporary art exhibitions; there are so many and they are great.

What is your daughter looking forward to?

annesherrod Mar 15th, 2010 07:10 PM

she is going to Art School so we will be hitting the many many museums there - the obvious to the obscure!! Of course we will be visitng Versailles!

To be honest, I think she is so excited to get away - Senior Spring Fever, stress with the college thing, etcc. It will be a great bonding week!
She and I are looking forward to experiencing some great Parisian restaurants and the macroons! She is hoping for a glass of wine at dinner!

elsiejune - thanks for the kind words!! :)

jobo Mar 15th, 2010 07:14 PM

Be sure to notify your bank/credit card companies that you will be in France so that they don't cut you off as some sort of security breach.

annesherrod Mar 16th, 2010 05:14 AM

Oh yes, I will call the bank and credit card co's - Thanks.

tcreath Mar 16th, 2010 05:33 AM

I am so excited for you! I'm sure it will be a wonderful exerience. My mom and I went to Ireland together a few years ago and still reminisce about that trip. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Tracy

zoecat Mar 16th, 2010 06:33 AM

Use ATM's for getting your euros. Most have menus in English. Be sure to notify your bank of your travel dates. Call the 800 number on the back of your ATM or debit card(s) to notify.

Also, keep notes on your itinerary (hotel or apartment address and contact info, flight info, passport numbers) and credit cards and ATM/debit cards info in a separate place from your cards. Make sure you include the international phone number found on the back of each card. The 800 number for calling within the US will not work from Paris.

Enjoy your trip!

tuscanlifeedit Mar 16th, 2010 06:51 AM

annes: since your daughter is going to art school, I will again urge you to take in at least one major temporary exhibit. My DD is a designer and she loves museums, but also loves to see new things or major retrospectives.

Last time in Paris, Feb. 08, DH and I went to a David LaChapelle retrospective and that was the most memorable exhibit of that trip. I didn't even think I liked his work that much, but that show was really something.

Here's a link:
http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibi...exhibitions-1/

eliza61 Mar 16th, 2010 07:09 AM

Congratulations you'll have a ball. When I did Spain with friends I got a few hundred bucks changed into Euros before I left home (My credit union charges a $5.00 flat fee no matter how much you convert). this way I had some "tipping" money for immediate small purchases.

Nikki Mar 16th, 2010 10:38 AM

Here is a New York Times article about visiting art squats in Paris:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/31...31headsup.html

When my daughter the art student went to Paris with me, we hit a number of art galleries and openings (called vernissages). She was interested in seeing what artists in Paris are making and exhibiting now. Here is a website (in French, but you can probably just look for the dates and times of the vernissages without knowing French):

http://www.parisetudiant.com/agenda/...te=7&submit=GO

I believe I mentioned on a previous thread of yours the museum at the Palais de Tokyo, also filled with changing exhibits that reflect the contemporary art scene.

PatrickLondon Mar 16th, 2010 10:54 AM

Just across the road from the Palais de Tokyo is the Musee Guimet, of Asian art, for a complete and (to me) completely eye-opening contrast.

annesherrod Mar 17th, 2010 06:17 AM

thank you so much everyone - great information. I appreciate it!
We are very excited for the journey!

kmac14_99 Mar 17th, 2010 08:14 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I leave for Paris in a week as well. This will be my second trip to Paris and cannot wait.

LowCountryIslander Mar 18th, 2010 10:51 AM

Anne and kmac...have a wonderful time!

I will be looking forward to reading your trip reports (no pressure to write one if you really don't want to, I just love reading them!) Plus I'm anxiously awaiting my own trip to Paris at the end of May! :-)

LoveItaly Mar 18th, 2010 11:09 AM

Hello, annesherrod. Tuscanlifeedit mentioned the luggage situation. The first trip I took to Italy after I lost my husband was a good healing experience for me and I had a wonderful time but..I found I wasn't able to put the carryon that I always used in the overhead bin. My husband had always taken care of that. A lovely Dutch man who sat in my row kindly did that for me but every since than I have taken a smaller carryon that I can put in the overhead bin if need although it does fit under the seat so that is good. The same with my check in luggage. To big and heavy to handle gracefully. Of course I met some interesting Italian men but still, it is important to only have luggage that you and your daughter can manage on your own. And maybe you have when travelling with your husband but Tuscan's post did make me smile. Have a wonderful trip with your daughter, you two will be making a lifetime of memories!

OntDave Mar 18th, 2010 11:16 AM

My wife and I spent 10 days in Paris last Sept. for our 20th anniversary and had the time of our lives. My only advice would be not to hold too rigidly to a schedule. Leave yourself plenty of flex time to see things you might otherwise miss

BuckeyeBud Mar 18th, 2010 12:24 PM

My suggestions:

Relax, have fun, realize that mistakes or something will happen, do something unplanned, make sure you do things your daughter wants to do, eat something that you have not had before, people watch.

annesherrod Mar 18th, 2010 07:06 PM

I really appreciate the suggestions - I tend to follow an itinerary pretty closely so I really will try to be flexible and realize mistakes can happen!!

I will derfinitely write a travel report !! :)

janiekins Mar 19th, 2010 10:38 AM

Have a wonderful trip!