Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leather: buy in States of Florence, Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 02:34 PM
mike

My wife thinks I should wait and there many good local sales. But I'm not happy with the styles. Looking for an "upgrade" in style. <BR>What can I expect to spend for a nicly styled black jacket/sport coat in Florence? Any stores around Ponte Vecchio (or elsewhere in town) that you know of that offers a good value and nice styles? Thanks much for helping. mike.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 05:09 PM
doc

Suggest you try the leather school associated with Santa Croce church in Florence. They have a wide range of products there at very reasonable prices.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 05:14 PM
mike

Thanks Doc, it is on my list. mike.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:37 PM
M.E.

Hello again, Mike! When we were in Florence several years ago, I purchased a leather jacket at a permanent stall/store adjacent to the main market in Florence(name escapes me this late at night!). Lots of competition. I was so excited to buy a stylish black leather jacket in Florence! Let's just say that I've learned a bit about high-quality leather since that time, and while I like the jacket, it's not the bargain treasure I'd hoped for. So if you're schooled in quality (or can become so) and are willing to pay for it at a reputable dealer, Florence is a great place. I will not hesitate to make a wiser purchase there on my next trip. Same goes for gold on the Ponte Vecchio. My husband made a great buy that he will always treasure (let's just say I knew more about gold than leather!). Like anyplace, one pays for quality in Florence or elsewhere -- but it's extra special to have a treasure from a trip! Enjoy!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Josh

We expected to come home from Florence with bargain-bought top-of-the-line leather products as well. While there is a great deal of leather products sold throughout the city, we found the prices to be comparable, if not higher than in the States. Similarly, I expected to find great deals on Gucci shoes throughout Italy. Keep in mind that when travelling to tourist cities, everything is priced accordingly. Most people are willing to pay inflated prices to be able to say, "I bought this purse in Florence," and the vendors know it.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:29 PM
Josh

One more thing...anything you buy on or near Ponte Vecchio will most certainly be inflated in price.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:30 AM
the turnip

Ok, ok. Let's say just say for the sake of arguement that the coat you buy in Italy won't be of quite as high of quality and maybe even cost a little more. But each time you put it on and it makes you remember your wonderful trip and brings back to mind all the sights, sounds and smells of Florence - isn't it worth it anyway? Contrast that with buying the coat at the mall here at home. <BR> <BR>I'd go with Italy every time...

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 06:27 AM
mike

Thank you all very much for your input. If I'm reading your input correctly, I'll get a better bargain on leather here (at the mall). Sentimental value I can obtain with less expensive items that will remind me of my (hopefully) great trip to Florence. Thanks again, mike.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Deloris

Went to Florence in '88 with my husband and bought him a great leather jacket at the leather market(open market). It was a bargain, (but bargain (!), and it is unbelievably still very much in style today. and he still loves it. Quality there varies, so be careful. If you must go designer, Gucci, Ferragamo etc. are there, from there, and less than USA, but expensive.