Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Least expensive way to call Italy from US - Dial around #s still around?

Feb 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I need to make a few calls for booking/reservations. I do not have land line; just cell phone service.

There used to be a dial around number that had good rates, can't seem to find it using google.

I imagine that I may be on hold for a while and don't want to run up huge International Long distance charges.

Thanks.
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:43 AM

Feb 20th, 2014, 09:47 AM

The one I used to use is 1016868.
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

dumb question, can you skype a museum?
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:50 AM

You can Skype anyone. It's Skype to a phone number, not Skype to Skype.
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:51 AM

I believe you can skype most non skype numbers just not for free.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA2...-all-countries
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM

With Skype, there are at least two different ways to call a real phone in Europe.

1. Fund your Skype account with credit and use that at few cents/min to landline, more to a cell phone.
2. It can be also no additional cost if you have a calling card collecting dust. You can use the card on your Skype. Call the US toll free number on your calling card (Skype let to call a toll free number without funding the Skype account), enter the calling card PIN, then 011 + country code + telephone number. I still use a calling card I bought more than 10 years ago on my Skype.
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM

I use 1010 987.

. . . Or Skype . . .
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM

greg - can you clarify as I'm confused. If you're calling the US why use "011" as it's the code to get out of the US when calling other countries.
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:26 AM

The question was about how to call Italy from the US, which is why Greg used "011".

Skype is definitely the best way to do this. You can buy as little as $10 of credit, and it never expires, so you can use it up in the future for any type of phone call that's going to cost you money.

I pay about €60 a year for Skype plans that give me unlimited calls to the US, plus a US Skype number so that my friends and relatives there can call me at local rates. This is about 10% of what I used to pay just for calls to the US before Skype came along.
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:32 AM

If you use Skype credit, the "call" originates from Italy, and neither the international code nor the country code is needed.

If you use a Skype with a US calling card, the "call" originates from the US, and the international code and the country code are needed.
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

ok, so if I get the skype app on my android phone and buy $10 credit, I can make my calls here. Then, using wifi while I am in Italy, I can also use skype to make calls to phones IN Italy?

I'm sorry, I am not usually this dense. I have previously just bought a Lebara SIM card for use in my phone while IN France and used that for local calls.

IF skype will work on my cell phone to make calls while I am in Italy, it appears I will not need a SIM card - just a wifi connection.

Is this correct?
Feb 20th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Debit wanted to call TO Italy FROM the US, so the call doesn't originate in Italy.
Feb 20th, 2014, 11:02 AM

greg - I get it now. I was misreading your instructions.
Feb 20th, 2014, 11:16 AM

You can also use google voice - it picks the country for you and is free to landlines (though you do need to put a few dollars into it as "credit" before you can start making calls). It works either from you cell phone or laptop via wifi.
Feb 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM

debitNM - correct. Also you can call US toll free numbers from Italy using Skype for free, which is handy if you need to call you creit card company.
Feb 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks for confirming, thursdaysd. I hope I won't need to call credit card company though....
Feb 20th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Google Voice doesn't work outside the US, unless you use a VPN or some other subterfuge. It also doesn't work from a smart phone. Skype, on the other hand, has an app for Android and iOS phones. This is why I say that Skype is the only solution for me. Believe me, I have often wished for an alternative, because Skype has its faults. These include lack of information on their website, and an interface that changes frivolously every so often, but it does work flawlessly.
Feb 20th, 2014, 01:37 PM

I have a VIP Communications account; I call Germany regularly, as does my brother and he just uses the same account, and it is a couple cents a minute, no initial access charge; every blue moon I add another $25 to the account, but the pennies tick off real slow. I've used it for years. There is an 800 access #, then you type in your PIN, then call the overseas number: https://www.joinvip.com/
Feb 20th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Regarding calling a credit card company: you need to have several alternatives. This can be quite common even it does not involve loss of cards. This depends on how paranoid is your credit card company. About every other trip, despite informing my travel plan and an intent to use CC abroad, I still find my card blocked ("There was a problem getting the charge authorized, do you want to use another credit card?") until I acknowledge that the charges are legitimate. You need a way to call your credit card company.

Besides Skype, you might need to use your hotel room phone. Why is this? If the Wifi speed is so slow, VOIP calls, such as Skype cannot maintain connectivity. How would you call your credit card company requiring being on the line for a long time? If the hotel does not charge or only a nominal charge for calling a local toll free number, you can use the in room phone to call Visa/MC Europe toll number. Go to their main site, then get the local toll free number for Italy, etc. Call the local Visa/MC toll free number from your room phone. If it requires contacting your own bank, they would give you an option to hang up and do it on your own or have them transfer the call. You want to have them transfer the call. The toll free call continues even though you are now transferred to your bank.

Many banks tout so called collect numbers from overseas. I found this process problematic. If an operator is involved and if this collect number has call processing, you are at the mercy of the temperament of the operator. I had several Italian operators just give up "sorry, they did not answer" even though I can clear hear the US side saying "press 1 for this, press 2 for that..."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO