Leasing a car in France

Search

Leasing a car in France

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leasing a car in France

Has anyone leased a car in France? Is this a good option for a trip of 21 days? Any idea which type of car is targeted most by thieves, manual or automatic; diesel or gas? Is it better to drive a French car to ward off thieves? Thanks.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM

I've leased cars in France many times, and yes, it's a great option. I have no idea about thieves; I've had no experience with them. I drive a manual, diesel, as that's what I prefer. In all likelihood you won't have any option other than a French car.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM

Why would you feel you need to ward off thieves? We're pretty civilized here.

Leasing can be a very good idea, but you should compare rates with renting for that fairly short period.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM

I have leased once or twice but rentals now are much more competitive than they once were. I have not recently seen a cost structure for leasing that was cheaper to that of renting. Check for pricing here:

www.autoeurope.com

Some like leasing because of the included bumper to bumper insurance coverage. However, American Express now has complete, primary insurance coverage for only $25 when using their card to pay for the car. If there is any claim, you simply walk away and AE covers the dammage. This insurance is superior to any offered free by Visa or MC which is only secondary coverage and not as comprehensive.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG

Regardless of the model of car you drive, thieves will target cars driven by tourists assuming that cameras, cash, or other items easily converted into cash are accessible. Leased cars have red license plates (indicating that certain taxes have been deferred) and red plates are a sure sign that the car is being driven by a tourist.

French drivers typically select automobiles powered by diesel engines with standard transmissions, both cost saving features. Cars so equipped are cheaper to drive and can be less costly to purchase meaning lower lease/rental costs.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM

We have done both - hired and leased. For periods less than five weeks, we have found it cheaper to hire. We always get a manual, diesel and have found it economical. The advantages of leasing are that you will actually get the car you request, not a similar model of another make. The insurance issue has been mentioned, but we always travel with travel insurance which covered the excess anyway.

We are leaving shortly for nine weeks in France and are leasing again. The better exchange rate has meant we are paying $38AUD per day for a small car. So not too bad.

We often stop to look at something on our move fromm rental to rental, so all our stuff is in the car. So we are careful with what can be seen. I agree that the red number plate brands us as a tourist. But I suppose other behaviour also labels us as tourists. As soon as we speak it is obvious. So far, touch wood!, we have had no problems.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM

<i>The better exchange rate has meant we are paying $38AUD per day for a small car. So not too bad.</i>

If I figured this right, you are paying $2394AUD total. How much would it have cost as a rental?
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:46 AM

You would have no problem for sure renting a car from France. Prices are very reasonable compared to other near countries.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 02:43 AM

We have leased several times from http://www.citroendriveeurope.com.au...ticle&ID=22659
Advantages include full insurance and getting the car you've ordered, as mentioned, but also no charge for additional drivers or extra for drivers 21-26 years of age if that is relevant?
Paperwork is mostly done before leaving Australia and hassle free. My DD had an accident in Italy last time and repairs were done in France ( our next stop) at no charge.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM

Ozgirl succinctly points out many of the advantages.

We have leased 4 times through Renault (loved their Kangoo) and wouldn't hesitate to again if we needed a car. We really appreciated getting a brand new car, exactly how you ordered it, and the paperwork is a cinch with no long lines and extended wait (unlike the Paris rentals we've done several times). They just make a copy of your drivers license and passport, you sign, and you're on your way!

The only possible negative I can think of is if there is a problem with the car, it's like your own car, you have to wait while they fix it--whereas with a rental, they will generally trade out the problem car for a different vehicle. This doesn't bother me since I know the likelihood of having a problem with a new car is minimal, but it is a possibility to be aware of.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM

<i>The only possible negative I can think of is if there is a problem with the car, it's like your own car, you have to wait while they fix it</i>

It happened to me.