Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Learning to speak Turkish (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/learning-to-speak-turkish-193153/)

Bay Apr 6th, 2002 01:33 PM

Learning to speak Turkish

Anyone have any suggestions or information regarding learning to speak Turkish.<BR>Thanks

Nancy Apr 6th, 2002 02:31 PM

Look up travlang.com I used it for my trip to Turkey; however, when I got there I asked the first waiter I encountered how to say thank you. After that, I found it very difficult to pronounce any of the words. I use travlang for every trip just to get some basics. Unfortunately I'm not good at languages but please and thank you will get you everywhere. Hope this helps. I also make myself an index card with basic words/phrases.

sonia May 10th, 2002 11:26 AM

I always try to learn at least basic phrases in the language of our host country, but Turkish was a challenge! In the end (after a few false starts), I rented a 2-tape set from my local library and found it very helpful. I don't remember the exact name, but it was produced by the BBC (I live in the US). The producers were very good at working in new vocabulary and providing the kind of conversations one would have -- ordering in restaurants and cafes, counting, shopping, etc.

abc May 10th, 2002 12:32 PM

Turkish is not easy language to for English spoken people Because our language structure is not same as English. But IF YOU WANT TO SAY THANK YOU . This is really easy for you to say. Normaly we say TESEKKUR EDERIM. But you don't need to say the whole sentence. Just say TESEKKUR. Do you know how to say? I am sure you want to learn. Here you are:<BR>TEA+SHAKE+CURE<BR>If you say these 3 words you THANK to somebody in Turkey.

Carol May 10th, 2002 12:33 PM

If you're in or near NYC I think you can take a class at Columbia but I'm not positive.

sinan May 10th, 2002 02:43 PM

Hey BAY (means Turkish Mr),<BR><BR>If you are living in NYC. I will give you free lesson. Write me<BR><BR>Have a nice day<BR><BR>Sinan Akdeniz<BR>

lovetotravel May 10th, 2002 05:21 PM

Merhaba (hello) -<BR>Good luck learning the language! I was there last year and had a wonderful time in Istanbul. Everyone I encountered spoke some measure of English - and most wanted to walk and practice with me. You will be fine there. They are the friendliest people I have met on all my travels! It's also a beautiful city.

StCirq May 10th, 2002 05:39 PM

Bay; By all means, learn as much Turkish as you can. If by any chance you speak German, you can almost always fall back on that as well, we found, as many Turks know German (the result of several generations of Turks going to Germany to work in cheap labor conditions, I'm afraid). Anyway, German worked very well as a second language for us in Turkey.

StCirq May 10th, 2002 06:24 PM

Bay; By all means, learn as much Turkish as you can. If by any chance you speak German, you can almost always fall back on that as well, we found, as many Turks know German (the result of several generations of Turks going to Germany to work in cheap labor conditions, I'm afraid). Anyway, German worked very well as a second language for us in Turkey.