Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Learning Latin in Europe - preferably Italy or England

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:43 AM
erica

This is an obscure longshot, I know. Does anyone know of any programs, at universities most likely, that teach Latin or medieval Latin? I will be starting my master's in medieval history next fall and need to learn Latin. I'd love to find a summer program that offers an intensive beginner's course. Several universities in the States offer this, but I'd much rather go to Europe if I have to leave home to do this!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Ben Haines

The site http://www.ucc.ie/latingre/summ_sch.html offers an 8 week intensive international Latin and Greek summer school in Cork, Ireland, from June 30th to August 21st 2003

The course starts from zero: students in the Latin course have the option of reading classical or medieval texts in the final 2 weeks.

Ave in Europa

Ben Haines

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 12:06 PM
erica

Thank you, thank you, Ben Haines. When I visited England two years ago, you were such a great help. I want to go back and see all the places you have talked about that I missed. I've never been to Ireland, it sounds like a perfect program.

You Rock!
Erica

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Ben Haines

I am not sure that I rock but am sure that you are kind.

Could you understand what the course costs ? I could not.

You will be a few hours long the line from the Book of Kells. Now there is a good book to practice your Latin.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
jahoulih

I thought the description of the fee was clear enough:

"The fee for the 8 week course, including accommodation (June 30th to August 22nd inclusive) and textbooks is ?2050 (euros). ... Should you wish to arrange your own accommodation, the tuition fee, including textbooks, is ?1200 (euros)."

It seems an excellent bargain to one used to American tuition fees.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:54 PM
erica

I thought the price was good, too. 2020 euros for such an intensive course, including accommodation, is great. My three-credit-hour undergrad classes are $1200 each. Ouch.

I wish I could find something similar to this program in England. Nothing against Ireland - I should probably broaden my travel horizons anyway. I've never been anywhere except England, twice. And if I won the lotto today I would immediately go back, before anyplace else. But I must continue to envy from my less happy land.

If anyone else has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Ben Haines

I was not troubled by the cost of the Cork course, but by the fact that I could not understand the web site at that point. I see that you would prefer England, and after a little Googling I now think you could put your enquiry to a don in Oxford. The Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies has a web site on http://www.sas.ac.uk/icls/Roman/frame.htm. This lists Mrs Elaine Matthews as secretary. She is at St Hilda's College in Oxford, their site http://www.sthildas.ox.ac.uk/informa...f/classics.htm lists her as a Fellow in Classics and editor of a lexicon of Greek names, and the lexicon s site http://www.lgpn.ox.ac.uk/ says her e-mail address is [email protected]

Ben Haines

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:13 AM
erica

Okay, Mr. Haines, now it is official: you rock.

I will send an e-mail to Mrs. Matthews, see where that leads me. I feel a little silly writing to Oxford University. I'm just a plain midwestern girl who works full-time and goes to school at night. I'm certainly no Rhodes Scholar.

Thanks again.
Erica

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Slick

At least you're not from Arkansas.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:49 AM
DanQuayle

Shouldn't this be posted on the Latin America board?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:50 AM
xx

I would go to Latin America.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Rob

Erica, YOU rock for wanting to learn Latin. This is one of the coolest topics I've seen here in a long time. I had a bit of Latin in high school many years ago and have always wished I had studied it further. Good luck.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Cataline

Quo usque tandem abutere Catalina patientia nostra?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:48 AM
erica

Thanks, Rob. My family and friends think I am crazy to want to study medieval history and Latin - especially at this point in my life. But it's what I've always wanted to do. So, d*** the torpedos, full speed ahead.

Cataline, no fair! Translation please?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:06 AM
jahoulih

Should be "Catilina."

Means "How much longer will you abuse our patience, Catiline?"

The first words of Cicero's first oration against Catiline. Not directed at you, I hope, Erica!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Ben Haines

For Erica: No need to feel anything but proud. The Society for Promotion of Roman Studies is full of people who think, as you and I do, that the west lost something when we lost easy discourse of scholars in Latin (English now fills that role, but is a blighter for irregular grammar). And Oxford dons, like Cambridge dons, are battling to defeat the idea that they are for toffs. They believe that they are for careful thinkers who like knowledge and ideas, so who cares about student accents ?

Anyway, isn t James Stewart midwestern ? I delight in his delivery of our language. There is a review and celebration of his work this month at the National Film Theatre in Waterloo, so I am not alone.

If you tell us all how you get on I think you will have interested readers here.

Ben Haines

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Julia

This is a most interesting topic. I was so interested in learning about the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Thank you, Mr. Haines! I think I may join. I would give anything to be able to attend some of those lectures. Does anyone know if there is anything comparable to this organization anywhere in the U.S.?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:13 PM
jahoulih

Comparable American organizations would be the American Philological Association

http://www.apaclassics.org/

and the Classical Association of the Middle West and South

http://www.camws.org/

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Julia

Jahoulih, thanks so much for those Websites. They're excellent.