Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Learn Spanish (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/learn-spanish-621851/)

mique Jun 8th, 2006 04:12 AM

Learn Spanish

Alright?....Ive gotta share this with you because Im on a high. Ive just been to Spain to learn Spanish....What an amazing experience! I went there a beginner basically and Ive come back being able to communicate and understand what people are saying...And it wasnt as if I spent hours on end in the classroom.... Was in Malaga on the south coast so I can definitely say I spent more time on the beach :)

Also spent some time in Granada after my 2 weeks in Malaga. When you order a beer in a bar in Granada they give you a free portion of food with the drink. 3 little beers was enogh for lunch! No kidding....Then in the evening theres this street where all the Spanish students go at the weekends. Bars on each side of the street for about a mile.
Anyway, I had an amazing few weeks that I will never forget...I did a 2 week course (but actually stayed for 4 weeks). The 2 week course (20 hours a week) including accommodation in a decent flat (shared with a Swedish guy, a Dutch girl and a Polish girl) cost about 430 Euros...Whats that? About 320 pounds? You can go for longer too which then works out cheaper. Well worth it and can really recommend it to anyone who either really wants to learn Spanish OR anyone who wants a cheap holiday and "accidentally" learn Spanish at the same time. If anyone would like more details can ask me here, no problem.
Mike

hanl Jun 8th, 2006 04:38 AM

"Then in the evening theres this street where all the Spanish students go at the weekends. Bars on each side of the street for about a mile. "

I used to live on that street! Sometimes I'd have to elbow the crowds aside to get in my front door at 4 a.m. Needless to say I never slept very well when i lived there!

And thanks for posting - sounds like you had a great time. :)

kenderina Jun 8th, 2006 06:24 AM

Glad to know you had a great time here in Spain !!

artlover Jun 9th, 2006 05:53 PM

This is something I'd really like to do, but I have a feeling you're talking about a twenty-something age group, or am I wrong? Could you give us a link?

Gracias!

janisj Jun 9th, 2006 06:02 PM

This sounds a LOT like mike is trying to attract young and gullible customers (first and only post ever). &quot;<i>Contact me here</i>&quot;. Sure?!

Robert2533 Jun 9th, 2006 07:10 PM

I have to agree. Sounds a bit like a scam to me. One post and that's it?

travelgirl2 Jun 9th, 2006 07:17 PM

What language school did you use?

Christina Jun 10th, 2006 05:57 AM

well, maybe so, I do find it very odd that the name of the school and perhaps a school's website isn't listed.

However, what's wrong with saying contact me here? That seems the best way to do it -- in public, on a public forum where other people can comment and where you aren't giving away private contact information. I presume that means on this thread, what else. It's better than some people who will ask you to email them privately in cases like that, and then they have your email address, etc.

mcnyc Jun 10th, 2006 08:52 AM

Well mique, are you going to come back and share more with us? It's only been 2 days since you posted here...and I am interested in Spanish classes in Spain...

mique Jun 10th, 2006 12:00 PM

Hi...Sorry not to have answered but didnt realise Id generated any interest! Thanks for the interest and Im sorry if if some people are more concerned as to whether or not Im advertising. In a way I am - I had an amazing time learning Spanish and want to &quot;advertise&quot; the fact to anyone who might be interested in doing the same thing. Yes, its my first post, but its one of the few experiences in my life that is worth telling anyone about! :)

I can do my best to answer whats been asked...Id say the average age was probably 20-something but there were people older, 40s maybe. Its hard to explain, but the atmosphere in the school itself was so nice and everyone so sociable that Im sure no-one would feel out of place.

Now...do I leave a link here or not??? :) Im not sure its allowed but here goes...If this gets me banned...! :) The site I used was estudia-espana.com It was recommended to me and Id just suggest you have a look and decide for yourselves. Im genuinely happy to give anyone more details of my trip. Mike

mcnyc Jun 10th, 2006 03:41 PM

Thank you mique. We all must start out as first time posters, so thanks for coming back and answering some burning questions! ;)

I'll be sure to check out the site. We've begun the process of narrowing down languages, and Spanish is on top thus far. :D

mique Jun 14th, 2006 04:05 AM

Hi...mcnyc...As to you narrowing down the language you want to learn - well, Ive learnt German and Im currently on to Polish and Spanish is definitely my favourite. Its a much easier language to actually speak (no real strange sounds) and the grammar (if thats your thing :) is probably quite logical...Its basically an easier language to physically get out there and &quot;speak&quot;. Obviously only my own opinion and Im sure other people have other experiences.

mique Jun 21st, 2006 03:15 AM

Well, anyone found any more info on this topic? Im going back in September - cant go much longer without any real Spanish food :) But would be interested in any other input people could give...

weber6560 Jun 23rd, 2006 10:57 AM

Artlover: Don't worry about age. I just got back from a school in San Sebastian and I am 67. Wasn't the oldest at the school either. I done this at 5 different schools in 3 different countries and it is a great way to travel.

cadillac1234 Jun 23rd, 2006 12:04 PM

I've been learning Spanish over the course of a 10 year relationship with my wife...

'Cons&iacute;gale del sof&aacute; bastardo perezoso'

'no puedo creer que cas&eacute; a idiota como se'

'si usted come m&aacute;s usted necesitar&aacute; un tractor en vez de un carro conseguirle trabajar'

mique Jun 28th, 2006 12:18 PM

Wow...really learnt the important things there!
Age really is no problem on these courses....That was the nice thing about the school I went to - the last thing on anyones mind was how old someone was. Everyone just got on perfectly well together and the atmosphere was great!

tru2my2 Jun 30th, 2006 07:33 AM

Hey Mique - can I ask why you chose one school over another? Was is solely on the recommendation?
I'm planning a solo trip Sept/Oct in the same area and trying to decide which school to go with...there are several.
Anyone else??
Thanks
Tru

mique Jun 30th, 2006 02:58 PM

Hi Tru2.
I supposed there was little to choose between the schools. Hours, activities, group sizes were all similar. Prices too I think but what was important for me was the fact that the trip be for learning AND a holiday. I love the beach and enjoy seeing the sites too. For that reason I chose Malaga - its on the coast and it was only a bus ride away from Sevilla and Granada. I spent a weekend in Sevilla for example. As for the school, well, youre right, Malaga was recommended so I booked with a little more confidence I suppose... but dont see any reason why the others wouldnt prove the right choice either :) Would be interested to hear what you decide....and why :)

laclaire Jun 30th, 2006 04:22 PM

Mique- where did you live in M&aacute;laga? I spend every August there and always live in the Molinillo neighborhood (on Molinillo del Aceite St.). When I am there, the Universidad de M&aacute;laga has a nice program for foreigners and I always see those students at the Plaza de la Merced at night.

I know you said you are going back in September, but if you can swing August and make feria, you won't be sorry.

tru2my2 Jun 30th, 2006 04:24 PM

I've got it down to 2 choices now - yours being one of them as they responded to my request for information very promptly (a rather rough dvd, but I love good service!) The other, and I hesitate to name for the same 'advertisment' reasons but what the hell - don Quijote, also responded quickly via email and lovely brochure.
I too wish to spend holiday time - all work and no play makes me cranky.
Just need to bite the bullet and book the trip!