Reload this Page >

Le Violon d'Ingres or other Paris Restaurant Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:43 AM
sally

I am heading for Paris this weekend. I have a reservation at Le Violon D'Ingres after hearing it praised by many but recently I have seen some very negative reviews of the restaurant. Please let me know what you think if you have eaten there recently and also what your meal cost. I would appreciate other restaurant suggestions as well for a special meal (which for me means a step up from the brasseries and bistrots we will eat in for most of the trip but not an Arpege, Taillevant, etc.). Pricewise I'd like to keep it under $100 person including wine and dessert. However, I would pay a little more for something really good and don't want to pay that much for something not so special.<BR><BR>thanks

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:53 AM
foodie

sally,<BR> There is a huge listing of comments about this restaurant on bonjourparis.com

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
AJ

Consider Pre Catalan for lunch on a nice day. In park, outdoor dining or in almost fully glass walled room, great food, and lunch menu with wine at half its usual many starred prices. Dress nice.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
AJ

Ooops ! I was there in the nice weather. You'lll be inside, of course.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
sally

thanks. I had trouble navigating around the bonjour paris website to find this particular information although thank you for recommending the site.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
John G

Violon d'Ingres is my favourite restaurant in Paris, and I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world. Whatever you do, DO NOT eat at Costes, for it is filled with horrible American trash.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
RnR

Violon is very nice, and there are others - many others. Regret to see posters falling into the old trap of ranking restaurants, especially for a city like Paris. Isn't that more suited to zagats page one? Zagats thinking -- I went in five times, it must be my favorite, and of couse I endorse it among the best. Of course zagats never includes self-rating on food knowledge. That would be useful - I know nothing, but I give this one a high rating. Anyway, enjoy Le Violon, and do report back. Have a good trip!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Jim P

Most of the Michelin * &amp; ** rated spots have prix-fixe menus at between 55e and 62e; I like Le Cinq, Ledoyen, Bristol and Lasserre. You may want to drop the bparis.com owner's name at Le Violin D'Ingres to assure proper service and attention. Good luck.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Go

We loved Le Violin and would go back in a minute!<BR>You will always hear negatives about the best places in the world if enough people are asked. Try it for yourself, how else will you really know? <BR>We found Helene Darosse to be lacking and we were very dissapointed, but the critics were raving over her restaurant. Have a wonderful time!<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
diane

Hi Sally,<BR>We ate at Le Violon last May and had a wonderful meal. I think the cost was about $250 for the two of us, but that included a $100 bottle of wine. The food was delicious and the service very good.<BR>A few other restaurants I've enjoyed in Paris include Au Trou Gascon (one of my favorites), L'Os a Moelle, and Au Bon Acceuil. All are within your price range.<BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:05 PM
mjs

Ate at Le Cinq at George V Sunday and had a lovely meal for lunch fixed price at E60/person. Cost for three including a glass of champagne to start and a lovely E45 bottle of white burgundy, one glass of Tokay, and coffee was E300, or E100/person. Olivier Legros, the assistant manager took very good care of us and made my children quite comfortable. Chef is Philippe legendre, who was recruited from Tallivant 2 years ago. Highly recommended.<BR>We also ate at Lucas Carton as a couple last November with an excellent meal for E180/2 people with a similar menu. Would be E100/ person now due to the slight depreciation of the dollar.<BR>Dinner would be significantly higher in cost.