Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Traverse (Tuscany) a good place to convalesce?

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted here before w/ questions about April in Tuscany/Umbria, and finally sorted out what would have been a dream trip for Mom and me, right down to scenic drives and balloon rides. Then she was diagnosed w/ late-stage cancer. Of all her commitments and activities, this trip was the hardest thing for her to let go of.

Now the good part: Mom chose chemo to buy time, and after 5 hospitalizations she's one of the lucky 20-40 percent of women w/ her type of cancer to go into remission. So the dream trip has been resurrected for next April, but I need to be picky about accommodations. Mom is 80, and still slowly recovering strength and stamina. Some days she needs to stay in and catch up.

Le Traverse sounded good last time I researched it, and I still want a base in the Pienza-Montepulciano-Montalcino area. Can anybody tell me if Le Traverse or another nearby property has

1) beautiful views,
2) friendly hosts,
3) delicious breakfasts,
4) comfy armchair/loveseat/sofa in room or relaxing common areas,
5) not many stairs,
6) access to areas for easy walks?

Budget is $200-$250/nite. I know these demands make my request a long shot, but knowing this may be the last trip, I have to aim high. In planning for the cancelled trip I've already researched Fodors, Slow Travel and Karen Brown. It's the convalescent-friendly input I really need now. Can anybody help?
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi mari,

Sorry to hear about your Mother's illness. I wish you both all the best.

I can't help with accomodations, but am wondering.

Will you be driving through Tuscany and Umbria?

Is there a chance that Mom will need emergency care?

Would visiting Florence and environs be acceptable?

You could visit Sienna, Lucca and Orvieto as day trips by train and bus. They are only about 1 1/2 hr away.

Walking is easy. Views and scenery are lovely.

You can taxi back to the hotel, as necessary, at fairly low cost.

You can go up to Fiesole for beautiful views of the city as well as the Etruscan ruins.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:36 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's illness.

I would not suggest that you stay in Florence. With its narrow streets and massive stone palazzi, it is a crowded, overwhelming city, even in April.

A nice agriturismo in the Pienza/Montalcino/Montepulciano area sounds perfect. None of the three towns mentioned is large or difficult to navigate, although Montepulciano's main street is fairly steep. Pienza, on the other hand, is flat. Montalcino, as I recall, falls somewhere between steep and flat. And the church of Sant'Antimo near Montalcino is a lovely sidetrip: tiny, atmospheric, serene.

I wish I had a recommendation to make from personal experience, but when I traveled through Tuscany, I stayed in hotels in some of the towns.

There are so many agriturismi in Tuscany; I do hope you find the one that is just right for you and your mother.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:04 AM

An additional thought: Perhaps you should consider looking for a small apartment rather than just a room. It would give you that comfy place to sit down and relax or read, and it would be private rather than shared.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira and Eloise--

Thanks for your input and for your concern.

Yes, we'll have a car. We're avoiding Florence because we've both been there several times, with increasing crowds each time. I realize the ER situation and tried to dissuade Mom by talking up alternate trips to Canada, Japan, etc., but she waved them all away, saying they weren't as exciting as Italy. She's looking better and better now, but if things don't look so good early next year, we won't go. If we do, I'll have a note from her oncologist translated into Italian, and will also buy travel insurance. Your point is especially good because Mom's needed ERs in China (mild stroke in Tibet), Vietnam (food poisoning) and Scotland (fell down castle stairs on her head) already. Anyway, you can see how determined this lady is.

The apartment thing is a possibility bc we have 13 nites; I just haven't pinned down the itinerary yet. If we'd gone as planned last April it would have been to Lucca, Pienza (Le Traverse) and Spoleto. Pienza is still on the list because it's quiet and flat (yes!); Spoleto off because it's mountainous, Lucca a ? for now. We're flexible because Mom now says 13 nites in Italy is too long and we should fly to France to visit friends while there (!!).

Thanks for your input, please keep it coming!

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:45 PM

mari, when you buy travel insurance do make sure that it does NOT exclude pre exsisting medical problems.

I hope you and your mother can make this trip and if you do my wishes for a beautiful time.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Mari: A wee clarification. When I suggested an apartment, I meant an apartment at an agriturismo, not a real "apartment apartment," if you know what I mean. In the high season, many of the agriturismo apartments may require a full week (generally Saturday to Saturday) stay, but I don't think that would be the case in April.

It might also be more convenient for you to stay at an agriturismo with a restaurant, for those evenings when you just don't feel like going out again just for dinner.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:04 AM
ira

Hi mari,

You seem to have found an interesting agriturismo.

Where in France does Mom want to visit?
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Good points re the trip insurance and the agriturismo apartment. Can't recall coming across one, but it does sound better than a room.

France would be Perpignan, not far from Barcelona. I think we'd be talking plane-train. Mom would have to be doing pretty darn well for this.