Le Train Blue Restaurant Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for special restaurant in Paris for lunch. Read about Le Blue in the travel section of our newspaper. Reading mixed reviews about the food. What do others think? I'm looking for beautiful with great food.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is obviously an experience you are not going to get anywhere else. It has been reported upon here onseveral occasions and you might find some previous experience info if you do a search.

We enjoyed our own experience there. The food was tasty and the atmosphere was just what we expected. Was it the best food I've ever had? No. Was it worth it? Sure.

Hopefully others will see this and respond.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM

We went there first of all because its splendid decoration. WE loved it, it is a nice experience.

The food was good, the service very good.

We were glad that we were there.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Concur with Dukey.

You owe it to yourself to at least walk in the door to see the opulence that train travel afforded in days past. You can just walk through, or go to the bar and have a drink, look at the menu and decide if you want to come back another day for lunch.

We go each time we are in Paris.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM

It is an EXPERIENCE...one that includes excellent service and very good food. If food alone is your goal, it's probably not the place for you, but unless you are a gourmand, I doubt your taste buds would rebel.

There are lots of threads here about it. If you search, spell it Train Bleu.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM

We had a lovely meal there on Christmas Eve 2010. It is beautiful and the food is good, not great, but good. We knew that going in and we enjoyed our evening.

Somewhere in my T/R there are photos (Christmas in Paris was Fantastic or maybe under the same title part 2)
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I had heard very mixed reviews about the food, and because I travel on a budget that allows for very few "splurge" meals, a friend and I decided to have a drink there before dinner, instead. It is really lovely and very evocative of the past era of train travel. We requested seats in the hallway lounge to the left of the dining room, which is done with little tables for two, one behind another. The club chairs are leather and it was a nice way to end an afternoon of walking.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM
ira

Hi mb,

>I'm looking for beautiful with great food.

www.taillevent.com

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
ira

PS,

www.le-train-bleu.com is a lovely <i>fin de siecle</i> place. I prefer the back room (used to be the smoking section) as it is more "intime".

Food is good, but not great.

Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Food's fine, and certainly not bad compared to much of what passes for food these days in Paris. I'd stick to the less expensive Rejane menu (what's usually called prix fixe in the U.S.) and not bother with a la carte, as it's expensive if you're even remotely thinking about your budget.

Service a bit dismissive, but then I was there as part of a large group (a Fodor's GTG, actually).
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
From Fodorites advice, I had a memorable birthday dinner at Le Train Bleu.

The room is beautiful, the service great as was the food. We did order more normal (not wildly different French) food. A great salad, tenderloin with bernaise sauce. MDH had slipped over during the day and ordered a special birthday torte for me and that was sensational.

With wine, I think it was around 150 Euros.

I'm sure you could have "drop dead gorgeous" surroundings and "over the top" food at some more upscale places, but be prepared to pay dearly for it.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM

If you're on a budget and will feel bad about spending exorbitantly on a meal, I would take the advice of MelJ and just go for a drink (which will also be relatively expensive. You will still be able to see the beautiful decor (which is definitely worth seeing) and not leave with regret that you'd spent so much. It's depends on what you're comfortable with. We had appetizers only mid-afternoon and they were pretty ordinary for something costing around 16 euros each (believe we picked the cheapest on the menu). As we left, I regretted spending the money, but was very glad to have seen the restaurant. If you're really on a tight budget and just want a peek at the restaurant, you can see a good deal of the restaurant from the front desk.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM

The "Rejane" fixed price menu is €54, and includes a glass of wine. The "Sarah Bernhardt" menu is €68. See for yourself on the website: http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM

For an unrealistic but humorous preview of a visit to Le Train Bleu, watch "Mr. Bean's Holiday".
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM

We dined at Le Train Bleu last June. I totally agree with your first respondant - fantastic experience, food good but not great, would recommend going there to everyone. Look on the website.
PS Australian dollar is getting a very good exchange rate so we didn't feel the prices were exorbitant.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Loved it.

If my superb lamb had been any rarer and I'd be chasing it down the platform...

I ordered a Rum Baba, expecting the pre-made confection you get in Britain. A half bottle of Martinique rum appeared on my table. The waiter brought a sausage-shaped piece of sponge, whipped out a knife and deftly carved the Mark of Zorro in it, and the half bottle of rum disappeared over the top of it. Good job I wasn't driving afterwards! Wow!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 02:30 AM

Never been, but am I correct that there is a less expensive Sunday brunch or similar?
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to a get-together there a few years ago. It was great fun, and the decor is unique. Ordered from the least expensive menu and found the food nothing to write home about. I thought the a la carte offerings looked better.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Think we will stop for a drink instead. If you arrive between the times of lunch and dinner, can you still get a drink?
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Sure. It is a train station diner. Fancy of course, but it is there to give service for folks taking the train. You can go into the lounge, get a drink and read a newspaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -