Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   le Muguet, Abbatial st Germain or le Clement - expertise (or opinions!) needed please... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/le-muguet-abbatial-st-germain-or-le-clement-expertise-or-opinions-needed-please-557886/)

kwren Sep 12th, 2005 06:34 AM

le Muguet, Abbatial st Germain or le Clement - expertise (or opinions!) needed please...

Well, it's so tough to decide between what seem to be wonderful hotels, even if they are in different neighborhoods. I'll be in Paris 7 nights with 2 12 year olds and will obviously spend some time near both the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. I'm leaning toward the area of the 5th or 6th, but feel like I'll be missing out if I don't stay at le Muguet! They even have a triple available during my dates. The Abbatial St Germain look beautiful in their pictures, but I know how that can go with hotel websites. Le Clement also seems nice. How to decide? You guys! Can anyone help me out with comparisons? (I do like French decor - not glitzy, flowered wallpaper with matching bedspreads, and not contemporary decor, if that helps. Also don't want to walk out and see nothing but residences... kids (and mom) need a bit of hustle and bustle of being able to easily go to shops)

Since this factors in as well, are the areas of Rue Cler, Rue Buci, Rue Mouffetard, Rue Huchette all safe/ nice? Do they all offer the same type of shops? I think all 3 hotels are near one or more of these streets. Any preferences??? I have read a lot about Rue Cler, but not so much about the others.

Merci!

AisleSeat Sep 12th, 2005 07:21 AM

Wherever you decide to stay will be relatively close to all the sights in Paris because the Metro is handy and quick. You can zip from one side of Pais to the other in a very short time. Most places will be close to Metro stops. That connects up with the RER and Bus systems so you can get around rather easily.

The Muguet is a squeeky clean, charming little hotel that seems to get high marks from all of the posters here on Fodors. Another hotel to consider for its' location is the Hotel Andrea www.hotelandrearivoli.com tht is smack in the middle of Notre Dame, Hotel Deville, Pompideau Center, the Louvre and more. It is a clean and efficient 2* that will be a little cheaper than the Muguet. You will have to check if they have triples.

Which ever hotel you choose I'm sure you will love your trip to Paris. Bon Voyage.

klondike Sep 12th, 2005 08:06 AM

We have stayed at Le Clément in a triple with our son in February. It was a fine stay though the room was overheated and we kept the heat turned off and the window cracked and that solved that problem; better than too cold. The room was definitely on the small side of the European definition of small, but it was clean and the location is great, being right off the Blvd St. Germain with both a metro stop and a taxi stand just around the corner. One street off of Blvd St. Germain, it was quiet. Plenty of restaurants and very safe day or night. This would be my choice because we really like this vibrant neighborhood. Although Le Régent would be where I would stay (see other posts) if you are willing to pay a little more or if you want to pay less, we now stay at the very funky one star, Hotel St. André des Arts right at the entrance to the historic Cour du Commerce. Their triples (we've been on both the 2nd and 3rd floor-prefer the 3rd for its wonderful modern enclosed shower) are very spacious.

Hopefully some others will have something to say about your other choices. Good luck!

I have stayed in the Mouffetard area, but not that specific hotel. Though it does have many fine points, I personally found it more removed, got followed by men more frequently from my metro stop than other locales (lone female at that time) and didn't feel as safe late at night there. Many fodorites really like this neighborhood, however.

francophile03 Sep 12th, 2005 08:27 AM

I stayed at the Abbatial St. Germain in 2002 in a triple room that was located on the 5th floor. It was not huge but there was enough space for a double bed (not two twins pushed together) and a single bed. The bathroom had a tub/wall shower combination with shower screen and was spotless. There were two large windows in the bedroom, one overlooking Blvd. St. Germain and there was a peek at the Pantheon's dome. The bathroom had a large window too. And if you opened it and craned your neck, you could see Notre Dame's spires. We liked their buffet continental breakfast served in the nice cellar breakfast room. All staff members were polite and helpful. The only downside was that the walls were really thin, however, I've noticed that with 3/4 of the hotel rooms I've stayed at in Paris. Btw, location is ideal as it's just a block and a half to the Seine when you exit the hotel and turn right. If you cross Blvd. St. Germain you can walk easily to St. Germain des Pres. The church, St. Nicolas de Chardonnet, is across the street from the hotel.

Christina Sep 12th, 2005 10:58 AM

I like the Mouffetard area, but none of those hotels are that near rue Mouffetard. I suppose you must be referring to the Abbatial, but it's not that close by my terms. Rue de la Huchette is nothing at all like the other streets, which are food market streets. Rue de la Huchette is an area with souvenir shops and fast food places for tourists--mainly, I suppose there are some regular shops on it, I've just never noticed any. It is certainly never referred to as a market street for groceries like the others.

I don't know what the Clement is like; if it were me, I'd pick it or the Muguet. I don't find that area of town where the Abbatial is that interesting or attractive (eastern end of bd St Germain), but others like it.

francophile03 Sep 12th, 2005 12:15 PM

The Abbatial is closer to rue de Buci and Rue de la Huchette more than it is to Rue Mouffetard. The only hotel on your list that is close to rue Cler is the Muguet. I suppose it depends on where you want to be located. Although that part of Blvd. St. Germain where the Abbatial is located is very busy and commercialized it was allright to me. There are some interesting shops around there. For example, Diptyque is located a few blocks away. If you want quietness then the Muguet would be best. The Clement is located near that part of Blvd. St. Germain in the 6th district. The street itself is more quiet than the Abbatial's location, but the hotel is located across the street from the Marche St. Germain and there are a couple of Irish bars nearby.