Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Le Marechal in Colmar vs. Le Clos St. Vincent near Ribeauville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/le-marechal-in-colmar-vs-le-clos-st-vincent-near-ribeauville-308068/)

maitaitom Apr 17th, 2003 10:58 AM

Le Marechal in Colmar vs. Le Clos St. Vincent near Ribeauville

I can get reservations at both in late September. I must decide by tomorrow. The room at Le Clos St. Vincent has view of vineyards, while Le Marechal has courtyard view. Does anyone prefer Colmar over Ribeauville area? Vice-versa? Your knowledge is appreciated.

cigalechanta Apr 17th, 2003 11:12 AM

I can only tell you that we stayed in "Little Venice"in Colmar at the Marechal. We loved the hotel but our room overlooked the canal and that was bad because the restaurant was below our window and they let in a group of Germans after closing who ate and chatted with the help, so had little sleep that night. The next day we checked out but would have stayed if we were sure it wouldn't happen again. Ribeauville!!!That was my favorite day in Alsace. We were lucky to dine without reservations at the famous Auberge de L�ll...fabulous.

cigalechanta Apr 17th, 2003 11:17 AM

sorry, Auberge De L,ill.<BR>We also stopped in Commercy so I could buy the famous Maison Grojean Madelaines made famous by Marcel Proust<BR>If you pass through Nancy, there's beautiful brasserie, The Excelsior.

maitaitom Apr 17th, 2003 11:19 AM

&quot;Ribeauville!!!That was my favorite day in Alsace. We were lucky to dine without reservations at the famous Auberge de L?ll...fabulous.&quot;<BR><BR>OK. Since you have laughed (well LOL) at some of my terrible puns, I must take your advice. I was leaning toward Ribeauville because we're going to be hitting bigger cities later, including the &quot;real venice&quot;. Plus, Colmar is a pretty short drive from there. Pardon my ignorance, could you tell me more about the restaurant you dined? Thanks for the help,

cigalechanta Apr 17th, 2003 11:41 AM

an idyllic setting, water,( the riverIll) swans, weeping willows, a tired terrace where you have your apertifs before seated in the dining room. A family run restaurant considered to be one of the grand ones. papa very old makes the rounds to each table to meet you. Classic and regional fare.(no one wearing shorts allowed)

cigalechanta Apr 17th, 2003 11:57 AM

PS I checked my chateaux&amp;hotels of France guide, that my hotel gave me and clos Saint-Vincent looks very attractive.<BR>Lovely dining terrace, 15 rooms.<BR> &quot;&Auml; quiet haven with only the birds and the rustle of leaves to serenade you. Generous and sunbathed cuisine reflecting the richness of the region.&quot;<BR>The photo shows some rooms may have abalcony. <BR>

lynlor Apr 17th, 2003 03:13 PM

The restaurant that I believe cigalechanta might be talking about is AUBERGE DE I'LL in Illhaeusern. The description she gave sounds like it. <BR><BR>Althought we did not have lunch or dinner here , we did sit out side in a light mist and have a glass of alsacian wine.<BR><BR>The restaurant is famous and usually takes reservations a long time in advance. The chefs name is Haeberlin and it is one of the twenty-three ***michelin restaurants in France.

cigalechanta Apr 17th, 2003 04:46 PM

you are right, , father and son ,paul and max Haeberlin work in kitchen and jean-pierre, brother and uncle does the hosting, tho that,s changing cause of age. If you say Auberge De I'll people can direct you to Illhaeusern, a burb of Ribeauville.

lynlor Apr 17th, 2003 04:48 PM

This is another hotel you might consider. The Arnold Hotel in Itterswiller, France. The view at night of the castle remains amidst the vineyards and hills is something right out of Camelot.

Digital_Traveler Apr 17th, 2003 05:14 PM

I have to agree with cigalechanta, Ribeauville was our favorite in Alsace. We stayed in Riquewihr and liked it but we wish we hadn't prebooked there after spending time in Ribeauville. And unlike Mexico be sure to drink the water

richardab Apr 17th, 2003 07:10 PM

stay in ribeauville. le marechal is not as great as it looks. i stayed there about 2 years ago and left after the first night and stayed in a small hotel outside ribeauville. i really loved the countryside. i found colmar to be dull. strasbourg was much nicer. from your base in ribeauville you will have access to lots of good restaurants in all the surrounding villages on the route du vin!

JmVikmanis Apr 18th, 2003 01:59 AM

It's the small towns in Alsace that make it the wonderful area it is. Stay in one of them in preference to Colmar--nice enough, but not as nice as the small towns in the countryside. And yes, Auberge de L'Ille is fantastic. I believe it's generally considered the most affordable of the Michelin 3 star restaurants in France. It has charm and soul and the food is fantastic.