Le Marche, Urbino and Ascoli Piceno

May 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Le Marche, Urbino and Ascoli Piceno

Hi Friends...we leave on June 10th and the question is this.....we have to trim one night from either Ascoli Piceno (Albergo Piceno) or near Urbino (La Tavalo Marche)....we have two nights at the end of our trip in Bracciano that we'd like to keep as is....given the choice which area would you trim the night from, Albergo Piceno and that area or La Tavaolo Marche and that area? Right now we have four nights in each but we only have seven nights. Tough question I know! Thanks very much.
May 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Well we have spent three vacations (2.5 weeks total) and have another two weeks planned for August at La Tavola Marche so you know where my interest lies!

But we have never made it to Southern Le Marche...so I can't compare. It is on the wish list for sure!

Could you give us more info about what you enjoy and what you are looking for out of the holiday? Then we may be able to answer better given your interests rather than our preferences!

Probably going to be amazing either way!
May 20th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Any reply you get is going to be the personal choice of the poster so as jamikins says, we need more info from you in order to try and help.
Having just returned several weeks ago from my own trip to both areas (after a trip to ONLY the Ascoli Piceno town and area 3 years ago which was the catalyst to return now for a longer period), we spent 4 nights in the Urbino area and 5 in the Ascoli area. I was not displeased at all in my decision. You should also take note that the difference in kilometers between the two areas is not that great. Are you staying at Albergo Piceno? That is where we stayed 3 years ago and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. You can find my trip report on this board as well if you click on my screen name.
May 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes...thank you....we are staying at Albergo Piceno. What do we like??? Sounds like the usual but we like experience authentic Italy....love to eat and drink wine...see beautiful scenery and discover new parts of Italy that are off the beaten path. We love sitting in a cafe for a few hours and just relaxing. Love to see that natural beauty and interact with the people with our limited Italian. We've been to Calabria, Sardinia, Tuscany, Umbria, the Lake Region, Rome, Florence, Venice, etc., and we just LOVE Italy....wouldn't mind going to the beach and or doing a boat trip if there is such a thing as well. Thank you!
May 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM

Honestly I think you will find all that in either place! We have managed to spend 2.5 weeks at La Tavola a Marche and are going back for another 2 weeks this year!

We have three trip reports if you click on my name and you can see our pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7634528008046/

Maybe just flip a coin! Do you plan to take a cooking lesson? That may eat into your time so I would maybe spend an extra day in Northern Le Marche though there is probably no bad choice!
May 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with jamikins. Both areas are so beautiful and so relaxing that you cannot go wrong either way. Indeed there is no bad choice. Make an arbitrary decision and it will be fine. For sure. And have a great time !!
May 21st, 2014, 11:29 AM

I think that in early June I would trim the night from the Urbino area in order to maximize my chances of getting a clear, sunny day in southern Le Marche to take a trip up to the Piano Grande to see the wildflowers.
May 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM

I would say that, given your interests, you'd be happy in either place. Sant'Angelo in Vado is in a rather isolated area, so your time would mostly be spent on country drives. The Ascoli Piceno area is more densely populated, so there would be more places to visit. I really like Offida, and there are some very pretty hill towns in the area.

If you like walks, there is a very beautiful gorge about an hour's drive from Ascoli Piceno, near Montefortino, called the Gola dell'Infernaccio. The scenery is splendid, there are tons of butterflies, and little babbling brooks and waterfalls. You need good shoes, as some parts are a bit slippery.

I'm not sure there will be much to see at Casteluccio in early June, and it's more than an hour from Ascoli Piceno. The "fioratura" is usually later in the month of June, and this year May has been very chilly and damp. To give an idea, this is the first day that I don't need a wool sweater inside my house.

It's very hard to predict when the flowers will bloom there. I've been to Casteluccio three times. Once it was splendid, unbelievable; that was in early July, and we thought we were too late for it. Once there were some flowers, but it was a monochrome yellow (the lentil cultivation). Once there were no blooms at all. The plain is impressive even without the flowers, of course.
May 21st, 2014, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you....we have been to the Piano Grande and to Casteluccio so we probably won't do that again. In terms of a cooking lesson...I know it's probably a lot of fun but I hesitate to commit to that much indoor time during the day. I do hope the weather warms up a bit but i'm sure it will be wonderful with or iwthout a sweater. Are there any really beautiful beaches that you might recommend or boat trips? Thank you. jamikins...I will look at your report!
May 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM

There is a boat tour that some people have done leaving from Fano...an hour from la tavola Marche...Ashley can give you more details.

As for cooking lessons, they are done first thing in the morning, with lunch taken outside...then the afternoon off in the sun....then they start up again late afternoon with dinner served around 8pm outside...assuming you are going during the warm months. So while the cooking is done inside you get lots off time off during the warmest part of the day and you gather the ingredients from the garden in the sun. It's not like being trapped in a hot kitchen all day at all.

As for reports they are here

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-do-italy.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-dolomites.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rche-lucca.cfm

Enjoy your planning!
May 21st, 2014, 11:33 PM

The Riviera del Conero, on a scenic bay at the foot of Mount Conero, just south of Ancona, is very beautiful, and there are boat trips there, including trips to beaches that can be reached only by boat. Most of the boat trips start from Numana about an hour and fifteen minutes from Ascoli Piceno, and almost two hours from Sant'Angelo in Vado. Here are a few links:

http://www.turismonumana.it/en/coner...y/109-178.html

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

(The second one is translated rather badly. The thing about "rolling" in August just says that there are frequent departures beginning at 8:30 in that month. The departures with asterisks have to be confirmed.)

I'm sure there are other companies running these tours, too. I did a search using English terms and these are the only two I found, although the second one doesn't seem to have an English version of its web page.

For stretching out on white sand, if it will be warm enough, I recommend Senigallia, a little over an hour from Sant'Angelo in Vado, which has one of the nicest white sand beaches in Le Marche. The town of Senigallia is also very attractive and full of life, absolutely not just a beach town. There is a nice stretch of free beach to the north of the port, otherwise, it's best to rent an umbrella and chair from one of the bathing establishments. Senigallia has two of Italy's highest rated restaurants, Uliassi and Madonnina dei Pescatori. Both are expensive, of course. Of the two, I prefer Uliassi. There are some other very nice restaurants in Senigallia. One that I like a lot is Raggiazzurro.

In the south, about 45 minutes from Ascoli Piceno, Porto San Giorgio is supposed to be a very nice beach. I've never been to that beach, but we have friends in Milan who have a summer home near Porto San Giorgio, and they say it's the nicest beach in the area.

Both are "blue flag" beaches, meaning that they've been given the highest marks by a European commission that rates beaches on water quality, services, environmental issues and other factors. In the summer, the beaches are often very crowded on weekends, so I would

If you don't necessarily want to go to the beach, but just to see the sea, Torre di Palme is a charming tiny walled town on a cliff overlooking the sea. It's just south of Fermo. There is a good restaurant there, whose name escapes me, but I seem to remember that it's the only sizable restaurant in town.

Warmer weather is forecast for the upcoming weeks. It surely can't stay cold all summer!
May 21st, 2014, 11:52 PM

Great information - thank you bvlenci!
May 22nd, 2014, 03:11 AM

I see that I left a sentence suspended in air. I was going to advise that you go to beaches on weekdays, as they're crowded on weekends in the summer. However, then I remembered that you were traveling in early June, and, after confirming that, I forget to erase the whole sentence.

If it's very hot, the beaches may be crowded on weekends even in early June, but it's not such a big problem as in July, or, especially, August.
May 22nd, 2014, 04:18 AM

tt
May 22nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful information...thank you. It looks like Senigallia is closer to Urbino so maybe I will add the extra day to that leg...tough decision but as you say...can't go wrong...thanks very much.