Notices

Le Marche

Apr 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Le Marche

My husband and I are happily anticipating our upcoming trip to Le Marches: Sirolo, Ascoli Piceno, Norcia, Urbino… We'll have a car and would like recommendations for good, preferably family owned restaurants in our 'loop'. Also recs for wonderful little towns and villages … so many great-sounding places.
Apr 13th, 2015, 03:01 AM

I live in Le Marche, not very far from Urbino. At what time of the year would you be coming here, and how much time do you have? There are really dozens of wonderful little towns, and it would help to know your interests as well as the time available and the season.

Norcia is not in Le Marche, but just over the border in Umbria. The fastest route from Norcia to Urbino would most pass through Umbria, and not the prettiest part of the region. I would suggest that you take a more easterly route from Norcia to Urbino, which would be a bit slower, but also more scenic. It would be ideal if you could stop somewhere along the way for the night, because the drive, plus lunch, would take a good part of the day, leaving little time to stop at charming villages.
Apr 16th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you for your response bvlenci -
we are flying out of newark into milan next tuesday and will have six nights in venice, then rent a car and drive down the coast. we'll stop one night in ravenna, then two in sirollo, two in ascoli piceno, three in norcia, thence to urbino for two nights. we had indeed considered cutting one night from our stay in norcia and staying in a small charming town on our way to urbino, but just couldn't decide which one. and i'm wild to see the piano grande. what would you advise?
i am a landscape painter and my husband is a just-retired high school english teacher. i studied in siena many years ago and we have been fortunate to be able to return to italy several times in the last ten years. this is our first trip to le marche and we're very excited. we're interested in art and art history, architecture. beautiful landscape, wonderful food and wine…and we know we're coming to the right place! how wonderful to be able to live there. we'll be in urbino on the 6 and 7 may, staying at the hotel meridiana.
looking forward to your response, and thank you again.

Search this Thread