Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Le Jardin de Cluny Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/le-jardin-de-cluny-hotel-96376/)

Ilene H. Dec 12th, 2000 02:05 PM

Le Jardin de Cluny Hotel

If you have stayed at this hotel, what do you think of it?

Christina Dec 12th, 2000 02:18 PM

I stayed at it maybe 5 yrs ago; the people were very nice and competent, it has a decent location near place Maubert, but I was in a single room which sucked bigtime, so I would not stay there again and it's hard to recommend it. This is a problem with some hotels, you can have an entirely diff. experience depending on your room. They did have good bathrooms, but my room was very dark and airless as there was only one window that opened to an interior airshaft/courtyard area (not really a big courtyard), so there was no good cross-ventilation and it was extremely noisy as the help used that inner area for cleaning, banging around dishes, whatever, until all hours of the night and the sound echoed up and down the building. I have heard of people who liked this hotel who had larger doubles; but whatever you do, do NOT get a room on the interior. I think it is overpriced for the quality, frankly, although it was not terrible. Personally, I get tired of being shafted by hotels that charge almost as much for a single room as a double and then purposely make the single rooms the worst in the hotel on all dimensions; they are not just smaller, they usu have bad locations, also. That's my rant of the day, and that was the last single room I ever reserved, I prefer to book a small double in a less expensive part of town. If you want a single room, I wouldn't stay there.

s.fowler Dec 12th, 2000 02:52 PM

We stayed here in '92. At that time it was part of the 'Best Western' chain and we were a bit timid and wanted that reassurance. We had a double on the 5th floor which we enjoyed. The bathroom was fine, with a window on the airshaft. No air conditioning then, which got a bitbrutal during the June we were there. Breakfast in the usual romanesque-arched cellar. The front desk was fine and helpful. The location was great -- a quiet street, but in the middle of the 5eme. The only reason we didn't return on our next two trips was that we like to try different neighborhoods. We stayed next at Hotel La Motte Piquet [an emergency replacement for Hotel Muguet - and once the disappointment passed we wre very happy with the hotel and the neighborhood] in the 7eme and then at Hotel Bersoly's at the edge of the 6eme. [Which I am no longer recommending due to a fodorite experience when her room was robbed.] Next time will be in March and because of $$$ we will probably go back to La MOtte Piquet. In sum our experience chez "jardin de cluny" was fine indeed, but as in any hotel that is not "cookie cutter modern", rooms will vary.

Ilene H. Dec 15th, 2000 12:26 PM

Thanks for the input. Has anyone stayed there more recently. We were told that the hotel has air-conditioning. Does anyone know if the hotel was remodeled recently?

elaine Dec 15th, 2000 01:06 PM

I think this hotel has been mentioned on the forum before, try doing a search by name. It is praised in the reliable book Cheap Sleeps in Paris, which mentions slightly-larger-than-average rooms (I guess except for the singles, per Christina), good location, nice decor, and some rooms have a view of Notre Dame. <BR>Also check for comments from past guests at www.paris.org or <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com