Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Fouquet's Paris...anyone been there recently for lunch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have reservations for Le Fouquets for lunch on the 25 July.
I "think" I have reservations for "The Terrace" which is a cheaper alternative to the restaurant.
Has anyone had lunch on the Terrace recently?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hi Kimmerly, we almost always sit outside....superb people watching! Le Figaro just slammed the place, but you are not there for quality food; it's fine, and grossly overpriced, but you know that. Fouquet's is all about history and the famous people who "may" have sat at your very table. They won't pressure you to order a full meal; we usually just order Kirs and entree dishes. Enjoy! JP
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Hi
I haven't been there in years, but it seems I agree with the recent negative review from Le Figaro--we found it even then grossly overpriced and the food forgettable, except for the bit about dining on the Champs. If you are going, the choucroute garni is famous.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Hey, you are going for the name and the location rather than the bargain NOT prices or the very good food and service (years ago, at least). They know you're coming so just relax and do it.

Please do us all a favor on this forum and let us know your opinion - ambiance, menu, seat location, service, prices, street action, etc. Heck, I've seen a movie being made out in front.

I don't know what the "terrace" refers to but if I was you I would sit facing the Champs-Élysées to enjoy all the sidewalk behavior. I'm a people watcher. Don't rush yourself at the table. You can sit in that chair all afternoon so whatever you spend on your lunch, it may turn out to be one of the most enjoyable and inexpensive afternoons you will have in Paris.

You will, of course, go chic.

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM

With all of the great and far less expensive restaurants to dine at in Paris, why waste you time sitting around watching tourist walk by? July finds Paris filled with tourist. You can people watch on St. Germain, and for a whole lot less, at any café along the street, and you may even see a Parisian stroll by. July 25th is also the final stage of the Tour de France and the 1st and 8th Arrondissements will be jammed with people waiting to see if Lance Armstrong can win again.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM

...And, Robert, you forgot all the real expensive but far greater restaurants than Fouquet's..

If you must pay for the dining experience, and I agree with people who do, at least have a good one!! Like Maison Blanche or Le V. Figaro's and other bad reviews to the tune that the food is forgettable and overpriced are correct in my opinion. It is fine for people-watching and posing on the Champs, but why not do it at Lenotre or at the Fermette??

I am not aware of the terrace dining, other than the dining outside, already mentioned (i.e. in the street- side "enclosure&quot. Besides, they usually have a fixed-menu for lunch that tends to run cheaper..

Finally, I think that their place in Cannes, at Majestic, is actually better than the one in Paris..
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:02 AM
ira

topping
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies. I thought it would be nice to sit and people watch, plus enjoy the history of the place. It has allegedly improved according to some reviews.
I chose this restaurant for the 25/7 as there will be a lot of people milling about...but we'll have a seat at least. We then plan to meet up with friends at the Marriott to watch the finish of the TDF.Will let you know how it went.....and we will be going chic!