Le Croquenote in Paris for Chanson Music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be staying on the border of the 2nd and 9th in December. I'm interested in hearing some traditional French music. Le Croquenote is the closest venue listed in a guidebook I have. It says dinner at 8pm, singing around 10pm.

Does anyone know if I can go for the singing without the dinner? Is the dinner of reasonable quality if I have to go that route? Are there better venues that would be worth traveling further for?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:21 PM

I know nothing of this venue, but you can search for events of all types at http://www.paris-touristoffice.com.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Thomas.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:24 AM

The Paris TO website is very good very major events and concerts but doesn't list all live perforances at small private restaurants/cafes. I have to leave work due to emergency from hurricane, so can't look up my web sites on chansons club (I have a couple),
but I have read that club is VERY small and very popular, so I think it is unlikely you will get seated. The review I read said the food was pretty good. There is also a chanson club called Au Limonaire up near Grands Boulevards metro stop that is larger, and not far away.
limonaire.free.fr

I'm being evacuated...
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina. Since I'm not going until December, I'd like to have your web sites when you're un-evacuated.

Be careful with the weather and I hope everything goes well for you.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Hey Christina, it looks like you're back posting. I hope everything went well with you and the weather.

By any chance do you have those websites on French chansons?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:01 PM

hi, I am back and just got power on last night, I was without power since last Thursday afternoon. Quel bummer. I just went out to dinner/bar/movies every night to avoid going home.

Anyway, the one I had has unfortunately disappeared as some web sites do, you can check to see, but it was
www.music-hall.org

I found a new one, however, which looks pretty good (although the old one had lots of info on sites) and gives addresses and links:

www.centredelachanson.com

I think you might consider Sentier des Halles on that list and it will be very near you.

I did look at the Paris TO website from Thomas' suggestion to see if it had any info on chanson clubs and it does have a section I did not see before on bars/restaurants, etc., and maybe listings of chanson places (which might be under varietes) However, it doesn't list weekly programs for those or even give links, as I recall, and it didn't have Le Croquenote listed or others I know, so I think this site is better.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:11 PM

Please excuse my ignorance.

I only remember a US popular tune "Chanson d'amor" [please excuse my spelling]. Que es "chanson"?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Chanson=song.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

As far as I'm concerned it's Edith Piaf, may she rest in peace. The smoky-voiced contralto that would grate out a woeful tune when accompanied by an accordian.

Of course, that's just my stereotype from the movies.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Dang!

Forget to say "thanks" Christina and I'm glad you have power back. I'll check out those web sites and see what's on.

I may end up calling a couple of weeks in advance, using my poor French and trying to reserve at Croquenote. But I certainly want to check out some of the other venues in case they're more convenient.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 10:33 AM

oh, INdy, I have another web site that is kind of fun to look at and has very detailed programs. Not sure it will give you any better info, but here it is:

www.zingueurs.com

You say you know some French so you can probably figure it out, I think it's only in French (good practice, anyway). If you go to the events search section "recherche d'evenement" and then click on type of music "concert-chanson" you get a listing of performances by club and date--you can search for a day, next week, next two weeks or a month.

I did see out of curiosity a few that look promising for what you want, trying the next week or two. They listed Marc Perrone at the Limonaire (my first URL) as "accordeon, traditional musette", and then Isabelle Jaskarzec at Baiser Sale in the 1st arr for French chanson (I thought Baiser Sale was mainly jazz, but it has both. Alsok, they list French chanson at Jokko in the 3rd and chanson with textes (which I think is sing-along chanson) at L'Attirail in the 3rd arr.

Anyway, this is a good website for various kinds of music and stuff in smaller cafes/restaurants/clubs. It doesn't even list Croquenote, though, wonder why.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for chatnoir and my pal Indy.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you want to hear traditional children's songs, you can go to www.ecole-plus.com, and click on "chansons".

You can find La Marseillaise, words and music in a zillion places.

For a kick back to the 60's, go to www.francoise-hardy.com, click on 60's, then "morceaux choise", then "text" for albums, lyrics, and where there are little headphones, the audio too!