Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Clou de Paris Restaurant Menu (next to Chez Clement on St. Andre des Arts)

Sep 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

OK, we went to Paris a couple of years ago and the "first restaurant rule" had to be invoked (if the party who is not hungry cannot decide upon a restaurant, the party who IS hungry may invoke such rule and demand the parties sit and eat at the next available restaurant whether or not the party of the first part likes it) We ate at Le Clou de Paris Restaurant next to Chez Clement on Saint Andre des Arts square.

It was lunch and the first party (not me) ordered a fish dish. I believe it was sole in some kind of a light yellow sauce obviously cream or butter based (no green bits of tarragon or parsley, onion bits, or such to be seen).

When asked if I would like a bite, I nearly licked the sauce off the plate. I have attempted since to duplicate said sauce but to no avail. If you have been to this restaurant and have eaten this dish, could you please tell me what it was called on the menu or in the alternative, give me the recipe? I would very much appreciate it.
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Send me a ticket, Ronda, and I will happily fly to Paris, eat at Le Clou de Paris, and ask the chef for the recipe.

BTW, how was the rest of the meal? We will be in Paris in October, and -----

Sep 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

It was lunchtime and I had the simple unimaginative roast chicken. There was a wait to get into Chez Clement which was where we intended to eat so opted for Le Clou nextdoor. We later ate at Chez Clement on another occasion and were very disappointed. The service was just awful - they were again very busy.
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I assume it was simply sole meuniere, that's a classic French dish. YOu can find many recipes, but they will vary a little, of course. It's just sole sauteed in butter with perhaps some white wine, little lemon juice, seasonings, and it often does have parsley, but doesn't have to.
Sep 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

No, I don't think so Christina. The fish was not fried. I've made sole meuniere often so I know what it looks like. I'm sure it is a very simple dish and a very simple sauce. Most likely the fish was poached. I have tried many different recipes and can't duplicate it so perhaps it was the "atmosphere" of Paris that I cannot recreate in my kitchen .
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I'll be back in Paris in the spring and will be renting an apartment on the same street. I'll try to go there and find out and post. Happy Travels!
Sep 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Are you sure of the name?
The only Le Clou I can find is in the 17e.
Sep 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Is the St.Andres des Arts Square up at the far east end of the street, not far from Blvd. St. Michel? I don't remember any square at the other end, the west end, that ends before the street changes to rue Buci. Happy Travels!
Sep 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM

Could the sauce be "beurre blanc"? it is made with butter, shallots and vinegar.
Sep 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

The restaurant is nothing special. The dish will just have to remain a memory. It was a simple dish but delicious.

Le Clou de Paris:
Place St André des Arts
Paris 06
01 40 46 88 57

There were probably more tourists there than French, but I was hungry!

Thanks for trying.
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Guenmai, when will you be there? I rent an apartment on rue de l'Ancienne Comedie a couple of times a year.I've never eaten anywhere on Andre des Arts though.
Jess
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Jess...I'll be there in the spring. Happy Travels!
Sep 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Place St Andre des Arts is right at the end where it goes into place St Michel. Those two places are actually sort of combined. It's where rues Suger, Danton and St Andre des Arts all meet. There really isn't much there and it isn't really like most "places".

YOu can't find it in the phonebook as that isn't its real address. It is really 1 rue Danton.
Sep 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Christina...Thanks. That's kind of where I suspected it to be since I was sure that it wasn't at the other end of the street.