Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Le Centenarie, Les Eyzies - restaurant in the Perigord (Dordogne) is no more

Apr 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

For those of you planning to try the former Michelin 2-star restaurant in Les Eyzies, Le Centenaire, a warning that the restaurant has closed. The hotel is still open, but for sale.

Roland Mazere, chef and owner, says he has worked for 40 years to keep the restaurant open, but has no one to pass it on to - and can't compete with restaurants backed by rich corporations. Apparently he was told by the Michelin inspectors that he was not far off a third star, but could never come up with the investment that this would require. So, at the age of 60, he has decided to close down.

The current red guide lists the hotel, but doesn't make any reference to the restaurant being closed, which could be confusing for those planning a visit. Nor does the Centenaire web site .http://www.hotelducentenaire.fr/

If you want to read an interview with Roland Mazere, in French, have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2gzcza
Apr 20th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM

It's a pity. We had a wonderful and expensive meal there one evening. Lunches seemed much more reasonable and we had promised ourselves to have lunch one day. That will be one of our permanent regrets.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the info, Carlux. We've only arrived here about a week ago...I had heard the rumors but doubted them. It really quite surprised me, but I guess nothing lasts forever. It seemed like such an institution.

I've also heard that Jardin d'Epicure, near St. Cyprien, has also closed its doors. I think they were aspiring to Michelin stardom, but don't know when or if they would've ever achieved it.
Maybe someone wonderful angel will come in to help out Mazere, or to take over the restaurant. We shall see.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:57 AM

Aw shucks! I was planning a lunch splurge there on my next visit.

Well, at least we all know we won't starve in the Périgord!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

I haven't heard about Jardin d'epicure. Might give them a call tomorrow. Having eaten there twice, I'd say they were a long way from a star. Once again this is a place that some people have had good experiences at, and we haven't. The first time the food was good, but there was only one other table, and we felt rather deserted by the staff. Second time we were the only people (lunch in July, which is surprising) and the owner sat at her desk and ordered provisions, in a reasonably loud voice the whole time we were there. Again we didn't feel particularly welcome, and so haven't been back.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Carlux: I've had the same reaction to Jardin d'Epicure. Heard good reports and bad. Bad reports were mostly about service and the lack of it. Yet two couples I know, whose taste I respect, had raved about their meals there.
I called the number twice, and both times received the message that the number does not work.