Le Camargue/Aigues Mortes

May 11th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Le Camargue/Aigues Mortes

We are staying in Sanary-sur-Mer and would like to plan our drive to Le Camargue and Aigues Mortes tomorrow after breakfast.

We would like to see the wild horses and flamingos, so is this only possible if we drive into the Park? If so, is Saturday a good day to go or is a weekday much better? Or is the wildlife visible from elsewhere?

To maximize the journey, I thought we include a visit to Aigues Mortes. Too many nice places to visit in too little time but I've narrowed it down to Aigues-Mortes in terms of a nearby village to explore, based on the good things I've read about it.

So would this be a good plan for our Saturday excursion?

Thanks,
Boots in Provence
May 11th, 2018, 05:53 AM

Can't advise on seeing flamingos and horses - we did see some as we drove from Aigues eastwards but not tht many. What I will suggest is a visit to the Carboniere Tower at nearby Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze. It has a small nature reserve by it, where we saw a kingfisher and all sorts of other birds and insects. The tower itself is worth a visit and a climb for the view!
May 11th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions, hetis - the main draw of the Camargue for us is the horses. If it at the end of the day there's no guarantee of seeing them, we'll adjust our plans.

Boots
May 11th, 2018, 07:04 AM

Years ago, I found a boat excursion from Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer to be the best way to see all the Camargue wild life. Although Aigues-Mortes is a fascinating place, I saw only a few horses there, stabled. Maybe others have had different experiences.
May 11th, 2018, 07:08 AM

I've always hoped to see the flamingos, but have never seen them after at least 10 trips to La Camargue. But I made no effort to go hunting for them either. The horses are much easier to see.

I suppose that I should link my Aigues-Mortes photo report: Aigues-Mortes | Any Port in a Storm
May 11th, 2018, 10:15 AM

You could go on a horseback safari of course. There are several on offer aroung Aigues, ride a white horse, and see flamingos! We had a dog with us when we were there so we didn't do it.
May 11th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Take plenty of high-strength mosquito repellent and don't have any unrealistic expectations of seeing any animals in particular - they go their own ways, depending on the weather, traffic, food, and other factors. I've been to the Camargue a dozen times or more and seen both flamingos and horses, but not many, and I've been at many different times of year. The most flamingos I've ever seen in my life was on the Avignon - Narbonne - Collioure train line along the shore.

Buy some red Camargue rice. Drink some Camargue sand wine. Buy some sea salt. Eat lunch at La Telline if you can find it, and if it's open
May 11th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Never a guarantee about wildlife, may depend on time of year, weather, etc. but we also did a boat excursion and did see horses and flamingo as well as a bull farm. It was great. I really like the Camargue. It is not dramatic, but very beautiful.

As to Aigues-Mortes. I absolute love it. It is touristy during the day, but evenings are quiet and magical. If you are going to the area anyway, then be sure to see this incredible walled city. Stay overnight if possible. Have dinner or lunch in St Louis Square.
May 11th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Oh yes the mosquitoes are awfu, I'd forgotten thatl. We looked like we had chickenpox after one night at a campsite in Aigues, and that was in the rain and wind so we weren't sitting outside!
Don't be put off though, it is absolutely wirth going, whether or not you see any annimals.
May 11th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Looks like we had a different experience at The Camarque when we were there in early to mid October in 2015. We only spent a day there. We drove into the park and parked our car where the flamingos are near some lakes/water. I think the area is designated as the place to see flamingos. We saw hundreds and hundreds of flamingos. The sight was spectacular! There are flat walking paths around this area.

We also saw the white horses and black bulls. We didn't see any mosquitoes. I read that spring and autumn is the time to see the wildlife. Autumn worked out for us.
May 11th, 2018, 11:40 AM

I've never encountered mosquitoes in the Camargue. Must have been the wrong season!
May 11th, 2018, 11:42 AM

I didn't think there WAS a wrong season,except maybe January and February. The Camargue mosquitoes are legendary!
May 11th, 2018, 01:56 PM

We must have been extremely lucky. We read about the mosquitoes, but spent three days there in mid-September, and not a single bite.
May 12th, 2018, 01:38 AM

Flamingos are plentiful in the shallow waters between Aigues Mortes and le Grau du Roi. They are very shy birds and the only way to get close to the would be if they happened to be at the Parc Ornithologique at the same time you were.

There are plenty of Camargue horses in this area as well.
May 12th, 2018, 03:10 AM

Following this thread. We're planning a similar day trip from Sarrians June 3rd week and are hoping to see wild horses and flamingos. DH and I went eons ago in the mid '80s and saw a lot while on a boat tour. Am wondering whether to do the same thing this time also or be more adventurous and do one of the horse safaris, though none of us has ever been on one, so maybe that's dicey?!

Thanks for the tip about mosquitoes, will make sure we take plenty of repellent spray.

Search this Thread