Le Big Mac reigns in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The French don't use McDonalds just for clean restrooms.

Excerpts from a Bloomberg article:

French Bistros File Record Bankruptcies as Le Big Mac Reigns

By Ladka Bauerova

Oct. 21 (Bloomberg) -- It's lunchtime in Paris and the packed restaurant has neither checkered tablecloths nor carafes of red wine. It's a McDonald's and the French are lovin' it.

traditional bistros are hurting. About 3,000 independent French restaurants filed for bankruptcy in the first half, a record 27 percent higher than the same period a year earlier, according to Paris-based statistics office Insee.

Meanwhile, France has cemented its position as the biggest earner outside the U.S. for McDonald's Corp., accounting for about 13 percent of total sales.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...amp;refer=news
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM

Yes with the shortening of the two-hour lunch hour and approbation against drinking carafes of wine over long noon meals even the French are looking for 'fast food' and cheaper food

and they too are probably tired of having to deal with at times surly waiters.

The French have embraced MacDonalds more than any country in Europe it seems - there are even loads of McDrives all over the country.

Bove types can try to bulldoze down the Golden Arches (and become heros to the agricultural interests) but MacDonalds is also one of the biggest boosters of French agriculture - having special potato farms for instance to insure taste

I would stack McFrites up against Frites in most more formal restaurants any day
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:48 AM

Don't you find it a little odd that some of the same Fodorites who love to complain about how Starbucks and McDonald's are "destroying" French culture and traditions are the very same people who are constantly talking about how great they think, French wines, and pate, and soap, and herbs de Provence, are and how much they wish they could get more of them..OVER HERE!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM

I have many inlaws in France and they rarely if ever eat any of that fine French cuisine the country is known for.

In fact they rarely go out to eat and are more likely to eat Trompez-au-lait than Foie Gras IMO

What the average French eats and what many of us think French cuisine is to me varies greatly
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:00 AM

Two French innovations I'd like to see over here are:

o The truly killer <i>Salade Ni&ccedil;oise</i> from McD's, and

o The ability to order a 1664 with it
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM

Oui Oui

McBeer!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM

This month in Switzerland we have McSwiss food.

McSpeck - a burger with a giant slice of bacon and a big chunk of cheese.

McGruy&egrave;re - burger with two thick slices Gruy&egrave;re cheese served on a Ciabatta bread plus melted Gruy&egrave;re sauce;

McEmmental - burger with two big slices of Emmental (what Americans call Swiss cheese) served on a roll with crispy onions and little bacon specks plus a cheese sauce that frankly tastes just like mayonaisse. The McGruy&egrave;re is my fave.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM

It was first in McSwiss that i encountered ice cream sundae cups that were edible
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM

Those french must be big eaters because Japan has 3,598 Mcdonalds to only 857 stores in France. With Canada, UK and Germany all having about 1100 restaurants, you wonder how France could be number 2 in revenue.
I think a stretch can help make a point easier.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM

Maybe they meant per store revenue? Which is an important number for a franchise business.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM

&quot;Japan has 3,598 Mcdonalds to only 857 stores in France. With Canada, UK and Germany all having about 1100&quot;

Population:
Japan 127,433,494
France about 61 million
Canada 33 million
UK about 60 million
Germany 82 million

Interesting.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In Italy, McD's offers Caprese salad and McSnack - 3 fried shrimp.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM

Incidentally, I <u>have</u> ordered a beer at a US McDonald's.

At Hamburger U in Oak Brook, Ill, McDonald's test markets their new offerings, and you can order an <i>Old Style</i> or wine with a meal.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM

The French left the door wide open for MacDonalds.

They still don't understand that people want to eat...

a) Without having to wait 20 minutes to get served.
b) Without having to go home and get out the cutlery and crockery.

They had a wonderful opportunity to produce fantastic high quality, reasonably priced food, that can be bought and consumed quickly, but simply don't &quot;get it&quot;

I remember my first stay in France...

Just after noon, beautiful day, let's have a picnic in the park...

NO! The grocery stores are all closed, can't get a baguette and a lump of cheese for love nor money.

THE FOOD STORES CLOSE AT LUNCHTIME!

If you wan't a take out in France, the North Africans, Greeks, Turks and Italians etc etc are more than happy to help you out, but don't expect anything helpful from the French.

Then, at every eco-protest there is ,the first thing they do is beat up a MacDonalds....
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
tod

McD's is our breakfast destination almost every day when in Paris.
Nothing wrong with the coffee except it's in a paper cup, and the three pastries are flakey and hot.
For around 2 euros I don't think it can be beaten.
I have yet to get desperate enough to make it a lunch or dinner venue!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I went to the McDonals's website to verify the leader in international sales. Couldn't find the breakdown but did find this:

&quot;Since going public in 1965, McDonald's has paid twelve stock splits. In fact, an investment of $2,250 in 100 shares at that time, had grown to 74,360 shares worth approximately $4.4 million as of year-end market close on December 31, 2007.

McDonald's has raised its dividend each and every year since paying its first dividend in 1976. Given the substantial increase to the Company's dividend over the last several years, McDonald's Board of Directors has decided that beginning in 2008, dividends declared will be paid on a quarterly basis.

On September 25, 2008, McDonald's Board of Directors declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.50 per share of common stock payable on December 15, 2008 to shareholders of record on December 1, 2008.&quot;

Just think, a buyer of 100 shares ($2,250) when it went public in 1965 and held until today would receive a quarterly dividend of $37,180 on Dec. 1.

I hate it when we're ripped off by Wall Street.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM

JRHartley

Were there any boulangeries open while you were there? Fresh baguette sandwiches, quiches, home-made pizzas? pasties? Crepes stands dotted around the place? Seems unusual food shops in Paris were closed. Maybe it was mid-August around 15th where they have a huge holiday.

Prefer to support the local businesses than big multi-million dollar corporations. I would have a buttered french baguette sandwich with fresh chicken and crudites from a local boulangerie (Euro3.50) over McDonalds. Or those mouth watering crepes from the guy near Le Comptoir stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, ham and cheese! To do die for and only Euro3.50.

Continue to support McDonalds and Starbucks in Paris and who knows, maybe one day Brasserie Lipp and Cafe Deux Magots will be replaced with them! Cafe Flore, Cafe Deux Magot could become Starbucks and Brasserie Lipp and Cafe Bonaparte could become McDonalds and why not Wendys as there isn't one in Paris.

Then one day that is all you will have.

Food for thought.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM

Well from my point of view Thank God for Macdonalds in Paris - some of us cannot afford to lunch in the likes of places that others can - and i like the lack of waiters - and being able to sit even without ordering if you want - a place to get out of the rain in with wet clothes, etc.

Nothing against fancier restaurants but don't suggest not patronizing McDonalds because your tony bistros may close

and talk to the French - it is them themselves who are beating feet to the Golden Arches, not just tourists.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM

A meal at McDonalds now around Euro8.90 (around US$13.) Processed food, chemically enhanced, soda drinks, packaged fruits and salads.

Ham and Cheese omlette and pomme frites from your average bistro is around Euro7. McDonalds is not cheap or healthy doesn't matter who eats it, French or otherwise.

There are a number of boulangeries who have seating, bar stools or cafe chairs where you could eat fantastic food for around the same price.

Like I said, keep supporting Starbucks and McDonalds in Paris, because it could become a junk food heaven! Then one wouldn't be too confused with any crappy French food and the different choices they have at the moment!
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM

&quot;I would have a buttered french baguette sandwich with fresh chicken and crudites from a local boulangerie (Euro3.50) over McDonalds. Or those mouth watering crepes from the guy near Le Comptoir stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, ham and cheese! To do die for and only Euro3.50.'

ditto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -