Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lazy weekend in Burgundy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lazy-weekend-in-burgundy-586430/)

LGBooker Jan 29th, 2006 11:36 PM

Lazy weekend in Burgundy

My husband and I are planning a long weekend in Burgundy (driving) at the end of April...I have been searching message boards, reading my guidebooks, and I am still completely stumped...help!

We are interested in wine tasting (although we drink our fair share we are not connoisseurs by any stretch), seeing gorgeous countryside and having some good meals in quaint, inexpensive restaurants...think cheap bills and lot of character. We're not looking to see how much money we can spend here and not trying to see all of Burgundy...just a very laid back and relaxing weekend.

Having all of that said, I am having trouble deciding on where to stay- Beaune, Vezelay, Dijon...can anyone help? I am leaning towards Vezelay but want to make sure there will be opportunities to taste wine and possibly tour cellars nearby (should mention DH will only drink reds).

Thanks in advance!

adeben Jan 30th, 2006 01:35 AM

Stay in Beaune: There is an area just outside the town that is reserved for hotels, and there is a wide range of same there, and all of them provide free parking. From there you have easy access to Beaune, and to the Cote D'Or where all the top wineries of Burgundy are located. Some are able to be visited, but you'd need to check the details at the Beaune Tourist Office. South of Beaune, along the wine road, you will find the village of Santenay. Have a pleasant and inexpensive lunch at a restaurant called 'Le Terroir', and order a pichet of the house red. When I was there, it was a stunner. Obviously the restaurant owner has local connections, and a good palate!

LGBooker Jan 30th, 2006 06:49 AM

Thank you Adeben! Can you recommend any B&B's or hotels near Beaune? Budget it under 100 Euro.

pjsparlor Jan 30th, 2006 07:28 AM

We stayed at Hotel Grillon in 2005. We loved it! It is located within walking distance of the train from Dijon and walking to downtown Beaune. No parking charges, we paid 52 euro a night. It is just wonderful and charming place to stay.

pjsparlor Jan 30th, 2006 07:32 AM

Adding on to the above post:The hotel web site is http://www.hotel-grillon.fr/ Mme. Grillon speaks excellent English. I'm told her husband does too but we've never heard him. He's always spoken French to us. In Beaune you can explore the wonderful surrounding countryside, including Dijon, Chateauneuf (the Chateauneuf just south of Commarin and east of Dijon), the Burgundy canal, Autun, wineries, abbeys, churches . . . the list goes on. There is a marvelous Beaux Arts in Dijon that is definitely worth a trip. Nuits St. Georges just north of Beaune is a very famous wine area BUT they also have a marvelous place called The Cassisium that is a museum of cassis. You do a tour of the facility and then have a cassis tasting. If you enjoy the occasional kir, you will be in heaven. Incidentally, they have an excellent kir at Hotel Grillon!

cocofromdijon Jan 30th, 2006 07:46 AM

Wow pjs, I'm impressed! what a memory!

I know there is always someone here who can talk about Burgundy better than I can do.
I can just add there is not only the Fine Arts museum that is worth a visit! (Ducal Palace, Magnin Muséum, le musée de la vie bourguignonne, churches, narrow streets with private mansions with tiled roofs, Darcy park...)
Vezelay area is very nice as well but you won't find as many vineyards as on the golden slope between Dijon and Beaune.
If you are lucky we'll have the same time as last April when people where having a drink on café terrasses in front of the Ducal Palace.((d)) ((h))
:-)

cocofromdijon Jan 30th, 2006 12:37 PM

oups! when people WERE having.... :-]

LGBooker Jan 30th, 2006 10:18 PM

Thanks to all! We have decided on Beaune and have already sent inquiries to a couple of B&Bs.

Pj- Thanks for letting me know about Hotel Gillon. It looks like a bargin...exactly what we are looking for...hopefully they will be available. And I LOVE a good kir...

pjsparlor Feb 6th, 2006 05:14 AM

You will enjoy your stay at Hotel Grillon. The breakfast is wonderful too. PJ