Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Layover in Frankfurt. What is there to see?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:58 PM
:Lisa

My husband and a friend have a layover of approximately 9 hours in Frankfurt in June.(It"s during the day) Any suggestions of what they could see and do in that short time. I believe "the historic district" is quite interesting. Where is it and how do they get there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Tony

You could quite easily take a short Rhine Cruise in that time. Park your luggage at the airport, if not already checked, and catch a train direct from the airport to Bingen, from where there are regular cruises to, say, Boppard, and then catch a train directly back to the airport.
On the river cruise there is ample catering etc., and you will have seen the highlights of the Rhine Valley.
For cruise timetables check www.rivercruises.com. Trains are at least hourly, more frequent with changes.
All of the above can be done easily in about 6 hours, airport to airport.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Lisa

Great suggestion., Tony, thank you. I will look into it for them. If anyone else has other suggestions, keep them coming, just so that I can present a few options to them and they can choose, but the Rhine idea sounds great.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Jane

We are planning on being in Frankfurt in a few weeks as part of an eight week trip.

It is often suggested on this board to get out of town straight away, but it does sound like a nice city and I'm looking forward to it.

I'll probably get blasted for say this but Lonely Planet has a great online city guide on Frankfurt that will give you some good ideas. Here's an idea that I find particularly appealing:

Lohrberg
Climb to the top of this 590m (1935ft) hill, around 10km (6mi) northeast of the Altstadt, and be rewarded by panoramic vistas of Frankfurt's skyline and the entire Rhine-Main region - a sea of rooftops, tower blocks, skyscrapers, trees and hills. The steep hillsides are planted with Frankfurt's only vineyard, and those manicured vegetable gardens you can see are rented allotments fastidiously fussed over by Frankfurt's high-rise dwellers. Quench all that feasting of eyes with a well-earned apple wine at the obligatory beer garden before heading back to the throngs - in winter you can sled down the hill if you're willing to take the risk.

We'll be heading there when we're in Frankfurt.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Miriam

Hi Lisa,
and Jane:
Lohrberg is very nice when you have good weather, I spend a lot of evenings there in the summer(in the Biergarten, of course and I didn`t climb the hill before or after). On the other hand it`s not close to the Airport at all, it`s near Bergen-Enkheim. I would rather suggest the Gerbermuehle, a Biergarten near Sachsenhausen. Very good food and people-watching.

And Lisa, don`t let people mislead you. A nine hour layover isn`t enough time to do a Rhine cruise when you really want to have fun, which for me means strolling around in the cities etc...I can`t imagine that it`s fun to be 100km away from the Airport when you have to think about your flight all the time. There are so many things to do in the city that I wouldn`t take the risk of missing my flight.
If you need further help-just ask

Miriam

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:58 AM
guy

I agree with Miriam...by the time you de-plane, wonder aimlessly for directions around the airport, and go thru the re-boarding process..9 hours is not a plethora of time to risk being far away from your connection..and the 'juice will not be worth the squeeze' to risk it....save the Rhine for another day and then take several days to see it. Besides, there is plenty to do and see in downtown FRA..and it is not a long taxi ride to get there..perhaps 15 minutes..Also, if you wanted you could still take a very short abbreviated Rhine boat ride..Walk down to the river from Romerplatz and catch one of the small cruise boats which go up and down the Rhine from there...It is only an hour or so round-trip for this cruise....but hey....it is only my opinion!!!