Reload this Page >

Lay over in Frankfurt, Hotel recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Robert Browning

Our flight home from a trip in France has a one night lay over in Frankfurt. We have the opportunity to arrive in Frankfurt from Paris as early as 11 AM or as late as 5 PM one day for our flight home the next morning. Pimarily, we need a hotel recommendation near the airport in Frankfurt and,secondarily, is it worth getting to Frankfurt earlier in the day to see something or should we just get there at 5 PM, check into the hotel and get ready for the flight home? We have never been to Frankfurt and only know what we have read in some travel books. From those, it seems as though Frankfurt is nothing more than a big city and gateway to the continent. We would appreciate any comments, especially hotel recommendations.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Donna & Pat

We're in the same boat but have a day both coming and going....I'm doing extensive research to find a balance between close-to-the-airport spots & places that will give us some access to interesting Frankfurt visits. Will post results. Happy hunting.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 11:08 PM
nudge

hi robert, we were in frankfurt last october, and used nethotels to get our hotel. they nearly 100 hotels which are online bookable or if you prefer personal assistance, use their local call center. they speak english. <BR>http://hessen.nethotels.com/english <BR> <BR>You are able to view the properties <BR>and rooms. Prices are listed and information given on how to contact them. <BR>I found it very helpful. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>This is also a free service from them. <BR> <BR>happy travels <BR> <BR>nudge

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Miriam

Hello Robert, <BR> <BR>you can`t compare Frankfurt with Munich, of course, when it comes to charme etc. But I wouldn`t say that there`s nothing to do. There`s Sachsenhausen with a lot of restaurants and bars with local flair, museums, good shopping etc. <BR>If you don`t want to spend $$ at the Sheraton Airport I would recommend one of the Astron Hotels nearby. There are three: Kelsterbach, Raunheim and Moerfelden. All offer a free shuttle-service to Frankfurt Airport. The hotels are new, clean and very nice. The rates are around 80$, with the Astron Kelsterbach being the most expensive(it`s the closest to the Airport). <BR>Try to book via http://www.hrs.de <BR>This site is available in English, also and you`re able to book online without a CC-number. It`s very reliable, I never had any problems with my reservations. <BR>If you have further questions just ask me. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:56 AM
xxx

There is a Steenbergen (sp?)Hotel near the airport and very near the air force base. American style rooms. Shuttle service to the airport.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Miriam

Hello, <BR> <BR>referring to the previous poster: <BR>It`s called "Steigenberger Airport Hotel". I think it`s too expensive for what it offers. <BR>Just my opinion.. <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:23 AM
guy

Not sure how nice of a hotel you are looking for. You can not beat the Airport Sheraton, since you can walk to and from the airport. This hotel has recently ..and still in the process of being completely renovated..think it was about $190..If you are looking for something really really nice..ya might want to try the Grand Arabella Sheraton in downtown on Konrad Adenauer Strasse...It is but a short taxi ride..or the train will stop within half a block...It is on the walking street for all of the shopping ..and only a few blocks from Romerplatz and other sites..I like FRA alot..it depends upon what you want to do..more sight seeing and shopping..or just chill and rest up for the return flight..

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Georgine

Hi Robert, <BR> <BR>If you decide to skip staying in Frankfurt proper, I can sincerely recommend to you the "ESPRIX" Hotel at the Frankfurt Airport. It is the "lower" priced property of the Steigenberger chain. The rooms as lovely and very spacious,with great bathrooms. (About $100 per night for a double.) <BR> <BR>They have shuttle service to and from the airport every 15 minutes. The hotel also has a buffet restaurant and a bar/grill room that was well patronized by American servicemen on our last stay. <BR> <BR> <BR>Contact info: Steigenberger Esprix Hotel Frankfurt Airport <BR> Cargo City South <BR> Internet: www.steigenberger.com <BR> TEL: 011 49 69 69 70 99 <BR> FAX: 011 49 69 69 70 94 44 <BR> <BR>As a prevous poster said, the Sachhausen section of Frankfurt is very lively. You might want to get into the city to at least walk around that area and have dinner in one of the Apelwein taverns.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Miriam

Hello again, <BR> <BR>in reference to the last poster, I think the Steigenberger Esprix is a good value, but not when you need fresh air. It`s impossible to open a window, because it`s next to the Autobahn(Frankfurter Kreuz) and the Airport. I think only somebody who has taken 6 valium is able to sleep with all that noise. I have to stay at hotels around Frankfurt Airport all the time and this one was the one which had the most noise. Even the Sheraton(directly at the Airport) is calmer because of a good A/C system(no need to open a window) <BR> <BR>Miriam