LAX to Boston to CDG - check in times

Apr 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

LAX to Boston to CDG - check in times

I know I can call the airline to ask this, but don't want to wait on hold for an hour, and figured the Fodorites would have the best information. We're flying from LAX to Paris next week with a connection in Boston. We'll be checking luggage all the way through to CDG. Do we need to be at the airport 3 hours prior to flight time? Or the standard 2 hours for a domestic flight?
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM

You are an international passenger on this trip, so allow more time to check in than you would for a domestic flight. You may not be able to use curbside bag check, self-check kiosks, advance printing of boarding pass, or other timesavers that are available to domestic passengers. There could be a long line for you to check your bag and have your passport scanned by an airline employee.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

That's what I figured, thanks. We're flying first/Business class, so I'm not so much worried about long lines to check luggage, but I don't want to cut it too short.
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I just tried to print out my boarding pass -- I'm flying United tomorrow overseas. As I'm at the office I was not able to print out the board pass because they are asking for my passport number and I don't have my passport with me. I haven't had to do that before. Seems to be some new.
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I'm American and live in Switzerland and am flying AirFrance to Boston in July for my high school reunion and when I called yesterday for seat assignment and meal request they asked for my passport number which I don't carry with me. It must be something new.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM

It may be that if you have flown internationally on the airline in the past, they can match your passport number in their system and issue the advance boarding pass. The one time I tried it (a year ago) I was rejected, possibly because I was using a recently issued renewal passport or maybe because I had changed my schedule a day before the flight.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM

They must have your passport number to do online check-in for international flights.

As for how much time, 2 hours is enough. You only need a few more minutes more than domestic. So, if you usually to the airport 75 minutes before flight, then go there 80 minutes prior. But most airlines have 60-minute cut off for checked luggage for international, so your large bags need to be checked by then.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Two hours is plenty if you're flying first/business. Check in shouldn't take long and assuming you're originating on AA or DL, both terminals allow elite/first/business passengers to bypass most of the security line.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, thank you Patty! We are flying AA.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM

You probably know this already, but there's a separate elite escalator which takes you up to security screening at T4. You end up merging with the regular security line on the upper level but it can save a bit of time when the regular line is long.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Good to know, thank you!