Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   LAX-MXP RT for $809 in May 09? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lax-mxp-rt-for-809-in-may-09-a-440840/)

Togo Sep 27th, 2008 11:15 AM

LAX-MXP RT for $809 in May 09?

I just did a search on Travelocity for a roundtrip between LA and Milan, leaving LA on Saturday, May 16, and returning on Sunday, June 7, and the fare I got was $809, including all taxes and fees, which I think is a good deal. But when I checked United for the same flight, the price was $1680 including taxes and fees. Why's there such a big difference in price for the same flight? AirOne's site shows $812, including taxes and fees, for the same flight. Am I missing something here? Is AirOne about to go out of business? If not, is it better to book the flight at Travelocity or AirOne's site?

gplusg Sep 27th, 2008 11:40 AM

Grab it !

MomDDTravel Sep 27th, 2008 11:42 AM

if it is legit go for it!

WillTravel Sep 27th, 2008 12:38 PM

This happens a lot, with different airlines and different websites, and you should just grab the best price when you see it if it's a ticket you want.

WillTravel Sep 27th, 2008 12:39 PM

If you buy the ticket from Travelocity, just wait a couple days and then confirm with Air One that you have a confirmed ticket.

amyb Sep 27th, 2008 03:07 PM

AirOne just stopped flying out of Boston and cancelled my flight (29 days before departure) without telling me or Expedia (where I bought the ticket). I'd read about the cancellation on Slow Traveler and called Expedia to investigate it. Ultimately I got all my money back but I'd still be blissfully planning to leave in 3 weeks if I hadn't checked on my own.

I'd check your itinerary frequently to be sure it doesn't happen to you...I'm guessing this goes through Chicago?

spaarne Sep 28th, 2008 03:22 AM

809 is a good deal. It probably won't get any better but if you want to try then use www.kayak.com and sign up for the Buzz Daily Alert.

Viajero2 Sep 28th, 2008 03:32 AM

That is a great deal from the Northeast US, let alone from LA....enough said.

Togo Sep 28th, 2008 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone.
I ended up booking the same flight for $758, including all taxes and fees. There was $50 cheaper flight, but that one arrived in LA too late. I just started tracking the airfare for this flight about two weeks ago, and AirOne's price was around $1150, whereas United's price for the exact same flight was around $1700, which still is today. Then, when I checked yesterday, there was $400 drop in AirOne's price. I still don't understand what's w/ AirOne though. I did find out after booking that I won't be getting miles credit for ORD-MXP portion. I knew there was a catch! But I still think this is a good deal for mid-May.

WillTravel: My itineray in United website already shows the trip w/ confirmation numbers. AirOne's flight is a code-share for United.

amyb: Yes, this is via Chicago. Sorry about your flight cancellation. Unfortunately I didn't read your post until after booking. I'll keep my eyes on this until the day of flight. I'm still little skeptical of AirOne.

amyb Sep 28th, 2008 01:41 PM

Togo, I'm sure they're keeping the Chicago route for a reason (ie numbers are up). I just don't think it's any way to run an airline -- literally! -- not to notify the travelers or Expedia of a complete cancellation. If I were you I'd check AirOne religiously and get on Travelocity if you notice anything amiss. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!