Lauterbrunnen to Montreux

Apr 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Lauterbrunnen to Montreux

Has anyone traveled by car between these places by way of Spiez, Zweisimmen, Saanen and Leysin? Putting a route request in Via Michelin or Mapquest always comes up with a "preferred" route way up to Bern then down to Montreux. Seems the long way around to me, and we prefer to stay off the motorways. I found this alternate route by putting in that I wanted to go via the towns I mentioned above. Can't believe it is only a 2 1/2 hour trip though! Can anyone advise us if this "back road" route would be a good one?
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM

You'll be going through a gorgeous area. From Lauterbrunnen, you'll be coming down from the mountains and then go back up and through them. If you have time, it would certainly be worth taking this breathtaking journey through the alps.
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Hi auleen,

The way via Bern & Lausanne is actually quicker even though it is longer -- those motorways you want to stay off.

Yes, I agree with schuler that this is the best route, very bucolic.

I just wanted to add that I wouldn't go all the way to Leysin; just come down by Gstaad & Chateau d'Oex & Les Avants.

Have fun!

s

s
Apr 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM

I will do the same drive.

You both said the route through the mountain will take more time than the motorway.

Can you estimate how much time?

Thank you.
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM

For traveller 1959,

I don't drive in Switzerland so have no idea what driving times are --

But generally you can use www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com to get the routes & times. I would use "via Gstaad" or "via Zweisimmen" for the routing.

s
Apr 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fellow travelers! According to Michelin the route via Gstaad to Montreux is only 2 1/2 hours. Won't believe it until we do it though! We will have the whole day to make our way so it should be delightful.