Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lauterbrunnen - Mürren via Grutschalp Travel

Apr 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

As has been discussed here earlier, the cable line between Lauterbrunnen and Mürren will be disrupted this summer while a new overhead cable car line is being built.

The latest information I have seen says that the old travel system from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp will go out of service on April 29.

The new aerial cable way is scheduled for completion on December 9.

Here is the paragraph I saw in German.

Betrieb wegen Neubau Lauterbrunnen Grütschalp vom 24. Apr 9. Dez 06 eingestellt. Ersatzbeförderung
via Postauto Stechelberg-Schilthornbahn gemäss speziellen Publikationen. Reduzierter Betrieb Mürren Grütschalp vom 1. Jun 29. Okt 06

To me it says that because of the new construction the service between Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp will be suspended from April 29 until Dec. 9.
Replacement transportation will be via Post Bus to the Stechelberg - Schilthornbahn station in accordance with a special publication.

There will be reduced service from Mürren to Grutschalp from June 1 until October 29.

[Reduced in this context I interpret to mean reduced from normal service. There is a cutback in service in late October in normal years.]

Those of you planning to travel to Mürren this summer may be in for some slow travel.

I frankly don't see how the Schilthornbahn from Stechelberg to Mürren can meet the demand because that cable car cabin gets full during normal times.

The car departs every half hour, and there appears to be no increase in service.

Apr 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Bob, thanks for the "translation"! I will be in area mid-May and will keep it in mind.
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM

www.jungfraubahn.ch has a very detailed look at the Murren cable replacement as well - same dates as above post. guess this cements the fact that low season is in summer in this area - seems they could run more cables from Stechelberg than half-hourly - certainly could the times i took it and cable car waited long time before departing.
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM

We'll be in Grindelwald the last week in May and Murren was on our list. Is it worth going thru the hassle to visit or just write it off. There's plenty to do in the area to occupy our time.
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:26 AM

The Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Murren cable is one heck of a ride - like an airplane, very thrilling to me and Gimmelwald is a unique place as is Murren. Once in Murren or Gimmelwald there are stupendous views of the Jungfrau Massif just a few miles across the deep Lauterbrunnen Valley. It's my favorite excursion in Switzerland by public transport - too bad the funicular is closed - that was a neat ride too and the train from Grutschalp to Murren is also one of the most scenic in Europe as it goes along the edge of the valley with intoxicating views. Suppose this train will still be running for local hikers but maybe not as it won't have very many passengers until the new aerial cableway opens. I think the Murren excursion is well worth the hassle that it may be. A Swiss Pass covers the excursion in full.
Apr 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Budman---

I don't think anyone knows yet if will actually be a hassle getting to Gimmelwald and Mürren. It is such a great ride on that gondola, it is worth looking into when you get there. The walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is lovely if you have the time and the inclination; of course you can also go by postbus. I believe the website said that the train from Grutschalp to Mürren would still run, but on a reduced schedule.
Apr 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM

enzian, thanks. I have read that the hike from Grutschalp to Murren was worthwhile especially for the views going in that direction. I don't know if it would be worth getting to Murren and taking the train to Grutschalp, and walking back to Murren for the views. Time/Worth it factor???
Apr 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

I agree that the ride on the cable cabin is great. Even the Bernese Mountain dogs know it. We rode up with one handsome fellow who started quivering and whimpering for joy when he saw the Jungfrau. I think he was saying: My mountain. There it is.

For Budman: If you get there fairly early in the day so you can beat the mob going to the Schilthorn, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
You might have to wait one rotation because that darn thing only runs every half hour.

I strongly endorse the walk from Grutschalp to Mürren. Ride to Grutschalp and walk back. The views of the Berner Oberland peaks are incredible. They are in front of you the whole way back.

The restaurant at Winteregg should be glad to see the customers this year!!

Given that you will be there when the days are long, a late afternoon visit might also escape a wait.
The sun is on the ridge almost all day when the weather is clear.

I particularly like to view the ridge just before sunset. The snow on the mountains turns pink as the sun sets.

If you can catch a full moon rising with a setting sun, the effect is extraordinary.

Low season is not in the summer in that region. There are two peaks: ski and summer.

I think those dates were chosen because of the prospects for better weather. There are longer hours of daylight and less chance of heavy sleet and/or snow.

That old system carried plenty of people in the summer. I have seen the line to ride the old cable contraption stretched out for yards and yards along the sidewalk.

The trains from Interlaken Ost could bring people into Lauterbrunnen faster than that elevator on wheels could hoist them up to Grutschalp.

Apr 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM

How arduos/long is the hike from Grutschalp to Murren? So far the only hike we had found doable by all of us was the easiest one i.e. Murren to Gimmelwald. Are they comparable by degree of difficulty?
Apr 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM

There is some information on Murren-Grutschalp here :

http://www.myswissalps.com/hikes/sho...ng=EN&HikeID=2

Bob Brown - I am a little confused about the alternate to the cableway. Say I want to go from Lauterbrunnen to Murren, and then hike from Murren-Grutschalp, and then return from Grutschalp to Lauterbrunnen, how would I do it ?

Whats the best transportation option (i.e. non-walking) from Lauterbrunnen to Murren and then from Grutschalp to Lauterbrunnen ?
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:50 PM

One of my favorite walks, and one that I was planning to do this June, is to walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, take the cable car to Murren, walk from Murren to Grutschalp and take the funicular down to Lauterbrunnen.

Now I am learning from this thread that I would be wiser to do the Grutschalp walk in reverse. Thanks for the info.

I am confused however by what I am reading as to which modes of transportation will be available and which will be closed. Can my favorite walk still be done?
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I understand the funicular down to Lauterbrunnen and up to Grutschalp is closed for repairs for about 6 months. I am told to take the cable car to Murren, train to Grutschalp, and hike back to Murren for the best views of the mountains. Is this correct?
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Let ne see if I can put it more clearly. The cable system between Lauterbrunnen and Grutschalp will soon be GONE, like in dismantled, torn down, removed. It will not be there any more, hence no one can ride it.

The new overhead cable car system will not be ready for service until Decenber, barring any delays in construction.

If you want to walk from Grutschalp to Mürren, take the train, which will continue to run on a reduced schedule, to Grutschalp and walk back.

The only way to ride up to Mürren will be via the Schilthornbahn from the Stechelberg valley station.

The cable lift ascends in two sections to Mürren. The first stage is Stehelberg to Gimmelwald where passengers change cars for Mürren.

As said many times before, IF you walk from Grutschalp toward Mürren the high ridge of the Berner Oberland, including the Jungfrau, will be in front of your as you walk.

The Mürren train station is a walk of a couple of hundred yards or so north from the cable car station.
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM

So, how early may/can one catch the cable from Stechelberg?

VS
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Sorry, I should have asked "may/can/should"

VS
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:52 AM

In past years, the Stechelberg cable to Gimmelwald, Murren and the Shilthorn were usually crowded. If I read this correctly, it sounds as if that cable station will really be in demand now during the travel season of 2006.

Post busses over there usually were packed!

There was a cog train from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalps. Is that what he's talking about? I have taken thar funicular type train up there in past years.

The Grutschalps to Murren walk is a nice walk with some very good views of the mountains.

I was booked in this area last year, but due to flooding, I changed my intinerary to Saas Fee and Zermatt.

I even posted some 2005 reports from the Post Hotel in Zermatt. Did not stay at the Post Hotel, but anyone who has traveled to Zermatt knows that there is internet and some of the best pizza anywhere cooked up in big quanities at the Post Hotel. LOL

I hope the weather settles down in 2006. Last year The Lauterbrunnen valley was flooded. Then hurricane Katrina smacked New Orleons and the Gulf coast. This year, record breaking tornados have smacked the midwest and south hard!

Hope the summer weather pattern settles in and provides us with great weather worldwide!
Apr 18th, 2006, 11:44 AM

ttt
Apr 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

There never was a cog train to Grutschalp. It was pulled up on a cable. There were cogs on a third rail, but that was for the emergency brakes.

The rail line Mürren to Grutschap was more of a street car type of system.
Small train with one or two cars.

This train continues on a reduced schedule after the 29th.

Apr 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Budman---did your question get answered? The recommended Grutschalp to Mürren walk can still be done; you just have to start in Stechelberg (get there by postbus from Lauterbrunnen, or walk there along the river path). I think the main concern people have is that the postbusses will be crowded.

VS---I don't know how early one "should" catch the cablecar from Stechelberg, but according to the SBB website it starts running at 6:20 am, with another at 6:40 am, and then every 30 minutes thereafter until 11:10 pm (23:10). I imagine the first few up every morning would not be crowded, unless they use those for carrying freight up.

bob_brown, the interesting thing is that the schedule doesn't show that change of cars at Gimmelwald---it says a stop there, but no "Umsteig". Maybe they just don't consider the walk from one over to the other a real "Umsteig".
By the way, I loved your description of the Bernese dog on that ride up, with the view of the Jungfrau. I must be part Bernie myself, as I love the ride up---it's the coming down that I find pretty scary, right where it swings out over the edge. . . .
May 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Good info to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO