Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lausanne & Murten (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lausanne-and-murten-556088/)

Ronjohn Sep 3rd, 2005 03:27 AM

Lausanne & Murten

Cant decide if I should spend 2 nights in Lausanne or stay 1 night and Murten 1 night. Anybody have any advise on that?

jmw44 Sep 3rd, 2005 04:45 AM

Hi. I have not been looking in here for awhile, so I don't know if you've mentioned the rest of your itinerary. Or if you're driving or training? Anyway, Murten is about 1.5 hours away if you change in Payerne (important Romanesque church) or a bit less if you change in Neuchatel. I'd stay in Lausanne and daytrip to Murten. My reason, of course, is that you could also visit the Lavaux vineyards of Lac Leman, and maybe even Chillon if you have time. Others will have input any minute now. J.

Ronjohn Sep 3rd, 2005 04:54 AM

jmw44: Thanks, have any recommendations on where to stay in the laveux area?

jmw44 Sep 3rd, 2005 05:33 AM

Ronjohn, I'm not the best person to ask about accommodations, because I'm a two-star budget traveller. I've stayed at the Auberge du Rivaz in Rivaz, just along the lakeside from Lausanne. There are also two lovely hotels, more expensive, in Cully, which is a beautiful village closer to Lausanne.

It has been many years since in stayed in Lausanne, itself, but I'm sure there are some nice hotels and b & b's. You might check to see the listings at bnb.ch and at rooms.ch.

Lausanne a beautiful old city on a hillside above the lake. Continue topping here, or perhaps start a new thread asking re hotels in Lausanne. Give us your budget preferences.

By the way, what time of year is your trip? Before the grape harvest? J.

Edward2005 Sep 3rd, 2005 06:00 AM

I have not been to Lausanne, but since Murten is so small one day is more than sufficient. In fact, I toured Murten in the morning and went to nearby Avanches in the afternoon to see the Roman ruins and museum. There are probably some fun lake things to do in Murten that I did not get to which would fill a second day.

jmw44 Sep 3rd, 2005 06:32 AM

Now I am the first to admit that I get carried away sometimes with my daytrips and the fantastic Swissrail system, but I notice that one could visit Murten, then stop off in Avenches, then connect in Payerne for the trip back to Lausanne. A long day, perhaps, but such fun. Did I say I love trains?

I wish you could stay longer in Lausanne. We've only touched the tip of the long list of possible places to visit from the Lausanne train station, one of my favorites. J.

suze Sep 3rd, 2005 08:43 AM

www.elite-lausanne.ch for Hotel Elite near the train station in Lausanne. Please note I have not stayed there myself but found it researching on the internet (I ended up staying with a friend instead).

Another option would be to stay in Vevey, the next town over. I'm not sure the price range you are seeking but there is a nice hostel on the town square by the lake, and several reasonable (for Switzerland) hotel choices as well.

Ronjohn Sep 3rd, 2005 10:14 AM

My budgit is around 250 Swiss francs and I am going to be in the Lausanne area September 19th coming from Zermatt. Is there a better place to go for 2 days than Lausanne? I will have visted Wengen area by the way so been there done that. Also going to Lucerne. just need a great place to go for a couple of days. Thanks for all your advice.

JoyceL Sep 3rd, 2005 11:02 AM

Montreaux is a wonderful town. It has everything: breathtaking views of Lake Geneva; a beautiful lakeside promenade; a charming Old Town section built in the French style.

Hotels in Montreaux tend to be very expensive, but you should be able to find something within your budget.

Of all the places I visited during my stay in Switzerland, Montreaux was my absolute favorite. I would love to return there.

JoyceL Sep 3rd, 2005 11:03 AM

just a correction to my spelling: It's Montreux, not Montreaux